Upgrade suggestions?

Hey guys I have a 12x15 base with 2 2lb columns and a couple 30lb recovery carbon tanks. I have been doing crc with great success as far as consistency and color but its a big shuffle with this system the way it is. I would first like to thank all of you fine gentlemen for that I greatly appreciate it. Ok so I want to get my system running both my columns at once with crc so 40lb of butane per run and I am wondering how to best go about it. I was thinking about adding a 12x18 inch to my collection and make it my recovery tank and then buy a 8x36 or 8x48 with hemi both jacketed for collection. I see alot of people doing this it seems. Not sure volumes work out like this or not. Another option is 12x12 jacketed collection with 1.5 triclamp for spout and buy either a 100lb carbon or 40lb capable stainless collection. I am on the fence as to what route is best if anyone could possibly help with my conundrum I would appreciate it. Sorry for the horrible grammer I know its ridiculous.

google cylinder volume calculator. Id just get another base and run 2x.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the calculator suggestion a 8x36 would hold a bit more then my base does now. The problem is I’m super busy and I’m getting a lot of toll work for the machine I need to be way more efficient I know I want a pour spout to save from taking on and off the damn platter that thing is heavy and annoying. I been thinking well im at it I should go up to 1/2" hoses for recovery and between the column and crc nitrogen pushing 20lbs through a 1/4 jic is so slow so I went back to running inline till I make this upgrade. If ur suggesting just another base im thinking the 8x36 with hemi reducer on bottom may be nice then I can at least run the 2lb columns faster open to suggestions I will check back tomorrow.

Get a real solvent tank, a buffer pot to hold your column volumes in before you run crc so the gas isn’t sitting on the material, thermo couples everywhere to measure the actual temp of your gas and you’ll be off to a better start than most

1 Like

A 50% increase in cylinder diameter roughly doubles total volume.

1 Like

How exactly are you including your thermo couples in assuming a exhaust gas is the type you mean? I guess I will just grab a 12 inch spout for my machine along with a bigger solvent tank. Seems the best place to pick up speed is pouring and recovery via 3/8" or 1/2" recovery lines.

I would suggest a 1/4” fitting for a drain “pour” spout. And a globe Type valve. Ball valves can trap material in their body if you close them while there’s liquid flowing through. Especially if you use them for throttling flow. Globe valves would also be more appropriate for low temperature hydrocarbons for the same reasons, although trapping solvent at -70 degrees is a safety issue rather than a sanitation/work flow issue.

2 Likes