Update: Outbreak of Lung Injuries Associated with e-Cigarette

FYI.
Interesting Reading…

CDC, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), state and local health departments, and other clinical and public health partners are investigating a national outbreak of e-cigarette, or vaping, product use-associated lung injury (EVALI).

What We Know.

Laboratory Findings Reported December 20, 2019:

• Laboratory data show that vitamin E acetate, an additive in some THC-containing e-cigarette, or vaping, products, is closely associated with EVALI.
    • A recent studyexternal icon analyzed samples from 51 EVALI cases from 16 states and a comparison group of samples from 99 healthy people for vitamin E acetate, plant oils, medium chain triglyceride (MCT) oil, coconut oil, petroleum distillates, and diluent terpenes.
    • Vitamin E acetate was identified in bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) fluid samples (fluid samples collected from the lungs) from 48 of the 51 EVALI patients, but not in the BAL fluid from the healthy comparison group.
    • No other toxicants were found in BAL fluid from either group, except for coconut oil and limonene (1 EVALI patient each).
    • This study built upon a previously released CDC report, using a large number of BAL fluid samples from EVALI patients, and added healthy controls, and yielded the same finding.
    • These findings complement the ongoing work of FDAexternal icon and some state public health laboratories to characterize e-liquid exposures and inform the ongoing multistate outbreak.

About the Outbreak:

• CDC is only reporting hospitalized EVALI cases and EVALI deaths regardless of hospitalization status. CDC has removed nonhospitalized cases from previously reported case counts. See Public Health Reporting for more information.
  • As of December 27, 2019 , a total of 2,561 hospitalized EVALI cases or deaths have been reported to CDC from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and two U.S. territories (Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands).
    • Fifty-five deaths have been confirmed in 27 states and the District of Columbia (as of December 27, 2019) .
  • Syndromic dataexternal icon on emergency department (ED) visits suggest that the EVALI outbreak began in June 2019. Cases have been declining since a peak in September.
    • Data suggest two distinct periods: a gradual increase in ED visits associated with e-cigarette use since 2017, followed by a sharp rise in June 2019.
    • Data suggest that that the EVALI outbreak began in the summer of 2019, and has been on the decline since September 2019.
    • These data align with recently released CDC national epidemiologic data among EVALI patients suggesting that the number of new hospitalized EVALI cases has also been declining since a peak in September.
    • While ED visits associated with possible EVALI have declined, they have not returned to levels before June 2019 and EVALI remains a concern.
  • Although the number of reported cases appears to be declining, states are still reporting new hospitalized EVALI cases to CDC on a weekly basis and should remain vigilant with EVALI case finding and reporting.

About Patient Exposure:

• All EVALI patients have reported a history of using e-cigarette, or vaping, products.
    • Vitamin E acetate has been identified as a chemical of concern among people with e-cigarette, or vaping, product use-associated lung injury (EVALI).
    • THC is present in most of the samples tested by FDA to date, and most patients report a history of using THC-containing products.
    • The latest national and state findings suggest THC-containing e-cigarette, or vaping, products, particularly from informal sources like friends, family, or in-person or online dealers, are linked to most of the cases and play a major role in the outbreak.
  • CDC has analyzed national data on use of THC-containing product brands by EVALI patients.
    • Overall, 152 different THC-containing product brands were reported by EVALI patients.
    • Dank Vapes, a class of largely counterfeit THC-containing products of unknown origin, was the most commonly reported product brand used by patients nationwide, although there are regional differences. While Dank Vapes was most commonly reported in the Northeast and South, TKO and Smart Cart brands were more commonly reported by patients in the West and Rove was more common in the Midwest.
    • The data further support that EVALI is associated with THC-containing products and that it is not likely associated with a single THC-containing product brand.

Source:

2 Likes

I saw an article where they were trying to push temporary inflammation as a ‘dangerous vape illness’ or some such hyperbole. This EVALI is not that, but is what they are calling the Vitamin E related problems correct?

@jdubs860. e-cigarette, or vaping, product use-associated lung injury (EVALI).

I think EVALI is a general term used for lung injuries associated with e-cigarette or vaping. Wait a little bit more and there will be another term coined.

I would like to see the F42k community of scientist and chemist take a stab at identifying the root cause. @Future @cyclopath @Kingofthekush420 who are the folks you would most like to hear from on this?

So it’s sort of an all-encompassing term. How convenient. Having a tiny bit of temporary inflammation is now called the same thing as the one that could kill you

This is all a theory, I don’t have the equipment nor chemistry knowledge to test. Vitamin E was the carrier for other thickeners. Vitamin E is not as thick as honey cutt. Go buy a vitamin e pill and check. My guess it’s actually one of these emulsifying agents or thickeners that’s causing this reaction, or the combination of it all.

Are we like back in 2019? Didnt we already find out what was amiss?

2 Likes

I don’t see anything new in this update

I have 4 or 5 bottles of said thickeners from said companies I’ve been hoarding since this all started.

I still have a bottle of TT mineral oil dilutent.

All are sealed, new, never used bottles!

2 Likes

You’d have to have a machine that is able to test for unknown compounds. :man_shrugging: Im sure more will come out as time goes on. The vape market crashed in September and honey cut pens became worthless. Everything lines up with that being the problem… it’s just whether or not there was also other chemicals in it.

im pretty sure uber thick is 100% vitamin E acetate

1 Like

History has an odd way of repeating itself

1 Like