Unsafe CLS machine technician

Hey there Yall, I have recently become the lab director of a brand new extraction lab. We run a ETS Mini plus we make solvent-less products.

Like a lot of the rest of you, I am not in full control of the lab and the owner has hired the employees. Since the beginning of the lab I have been talking about safety and the importance that all employees take all the proper measures to be safe and also make clean products. This is everyones first job in an extraction lab except for myself who has been working in a legal lab for 5 years. Longer if you count random facilities I have found myself in.

So now to my problem that I need help with, My main tech has made a few very unsafe decisions;
For Example.
1.Vaped in the booth while running the CLS
2.Took off the top of the material column while still pressurized and it flew up,
3. Again he began loosening the bolts to a fully pressurized material column.

I have brought all these events to the owner and they have been turning there heads to my warnings. Until I finally stopped all production for 2 weeks, so I can come up with a solution other than hanging over his shoulder. He has now gone to the owner cause he doesn’t know why I have tightened the grip on him.

Do you all have any suggestions for me? If it were up to me after catching him vape in the booth with the machine running, I would have moved him back to his old position, But my boss keeps giving him another chance. All 3 of us have a meeting on Monday 8/16. I could use all the advice I can get. My goal is to be safe at all times. I don’t believe this employee cares and my boss I don’t think understands the severity of the situation. Or he just doesn’t want to rip off the bandaid.

What do you all think?

Now,

8 Likes

your working w an idiot?

12 Likes

Pack your shit and leave. Fuck working for people who don’t recognize your efforts to keep them safe and in business

42 Likes

No italics needed

7 Likes

whyd u make 2 threads OP

1 Like

yup, thats what it feels like

hahaha i didnt mean to. im trying to delete one now

1 Like

I flagged it as a duplicate… they will delete it usually

1 Like

thank you

Yeah, thats kinda where I am at. I just wish it was that simple since I am under contract. I am hoping that the owner will realize the severity when I bring all this to the table next Monday.

What kind of contract did you sign that makes you have to work in unsafe work environments?

I’d flip my fucking lid over shit like this and would absolutely come unglued if the owner down played the issue. You’re the lab director, everyone does what you say. You make the rules in the lab, not him. And if they don’t like that, tough shit

12 Likes

29 Likes

Agreed on this sentiment. Your life is worth more than what ever they are paying you! Also the safety of your coworkers.

Don’t let a dollar keep you from being honest. Tell that bastard what’s up and if he cans you, that’s his loss not yours, let it spring board you into a company that cares

9 Likes

I have flipped! I signed that I would be around for at least 1 year. I know in this meeting I am laying it all on the table, I guess I needed more validation. I will walk away and deal with the consequences if they decide to sweep my concerns under the rug

3 Likes

Wow, your right! thank you

1 Like

We need to normalize people realizing no one can make u sign your life away! Fuck that contract fam. Contracts in the cannabis industry for employee/employer relations don’t hold up. I’ve never heard of anyone actually being able to enforce any NDA/Non compete

Post you paperwork if you want and maybe someone can help show you that’s it’s not anything actually enforceable

6 Likes

I’d explain to them that they can die. Be as cold as blunt about that fact as you can. People tend to recognize death as a serious thing

3 Likes

posted in classified…

you looking for a new gig or a new operator?

3 Likes

No kidding! Let him try to sue you. I’d love to see their defense in court

2 Likes

Where are you located? I’m building a lab in Washington and am looking for staff

12 Likes