Unplugging spent biomass from BHO columns

When are you available and more importantly How much are you willing to wager?

1 Like

Name your price. This is emptying 4 x 4x48" tubes and packing 20 #'s back in tnem, in 5 min.

1 Like

You must not have seen how I empty the whole rack in 20 seconds flat, thanks to @Concentrated_humbold

1 Like

That would leave you 1:10 to pack 5 #'s in each tube. I’m game.

2 Likes

Five minutes minus 20 seconds is 1 minutes and 10 seconds?

1 Like

Exactly, you said you empty and pack 4, 4x48 tubes in 5 min. Then you said you empty the “rack”( that would be your 4 tubes) in 20 seconds. If you take your 4 empty tubes and pack them at the same speed you would need to pack 5 #'s every 1:10 for a grand total of 4:40. My math might be off though…:thinking:

2 Likes

Ahh yea my mistake. I thought you meant 1:10 per rack. But yes, 1 minute per tube easily.

1 Like

Pre weighed totes and pack a 4” with a 3” ifs totallt possible. I do coloumn on ro off and ran in 20 mins or less, wit h rhe hit vapor push nothing compares. No looping pumps tried with 3 cmepols and couldnt hold a candle to the geat wrap. He knows what he’s doing and has mimiced my style and it works great and is FAST.

1 Like

Air compressor and rhen get tour money

1 Like

I will admit, I’ve had maybe 3 tubes that wouldn’t budge at 150 psi (packed too tight). A simple 48” flex drill bit from harbor freight for $6 gets that taken care of easy as pie.

One of those bid screw things to hold you dog in the grass, cut the one end off and those work hreat in a oinch also

1 Like

Is your name Barry Allen? GD you must be zooming

@Concentrated_humbold those dog corckscrews changed my life, along with my sous vide

2 Likes

4 Likes

@Scientific710 on ig makes a cool ironfist column packer. Would work both ways

@Waxplug1 i use a long flathead screwdriver

2 Likes

Here’s a quick video of an install we just completed in a c1d1 lab two days ago. Each build is custom tailored to customer needs. In this particular case the customer wanted the hoses to be at the top so they could be ran across the ceiling. This unit produces 20,000 Lbs of force. We always consider column integrity with each application and engineer accordingly, of course.

Always happy to answer any questions anyone may have and honored to be a part of the GLG family!

Automatic Food Grade Hydraulic Column Packer / Unpacker (Iron Fist)

@Trenkos

6 Likes

Thank you for the mention!! Here to help anyway we can.

2 Likes

Now thats fancy. What do the economics look like on one of these systems? TY

3 Likes

Each one is built to order per customer requirements, all USP food grade, ASTM materials, etc. Builds are 12K with 2-4 week lead times currently. Here’s some info pulled from our website:

Product Features

• Effortlessly pack columns with 0-100% more material than by hand increasing throughput and effortlessly unpack columns in seconds all with the push of a button. (we typically recommend packing a maximum of 50% additional material than can be packed by hand)
  • Evenly distributed packing pressure.
  • Encases column when in use reducing airborne particles in accordance with occupational safety and health standards.
  • Unloaded material remains compacted keeping residual solvents contained, reducing fire danger and waste volume.
  • Cleans columns’ interior by removing wax, lipids, etc. from column walls with each use.
  • Double acting cylinder extends and retracts using hand held remote for easy operation.
  • Can be used in any orientation.
  • Portable.
  • Easily adaptable to different column sizes with additional Plunger and Flange set, sold separately.
  • USP Grade NSF 3H, H1 registered hydraulic oil complies with FDA CFR 172.878 3H.
  • Food grade stainless steel construction, user manual, 1 year warranty, made in the USA (Hillsboro, Oregon).
    @BG305
3 Likes

How long does it take to pack a Column? In the video it seems quick enough on pushing it out.

3 Likes

It would depend on your column size of course but on average I would say a couple minutes or so. Since every installation we do is unique, we tailor our suggested packing and unpacking method to best suit the lab’s needs, current equipment, and process. Some pack free standing columns horizontally, some vertically, and others on racks. The major time savings is not in the packing but rather the fact that you are getting more material in each run and in the unpacking. Customers who unpack quickly typically don’t have much material in the column. Now they can process much more material per run and still unpack quickly with no labor. You can imagine the time savings if you were running 50% more material in each run. You could either end your day several hours earlier if your goal was to run a certain amount of material that day or run the same shift and increase your overall production. The unpacking saves even more time and has other time saving advantages like cleaning the interior column walls, reduction in biomass waste volume, etc. Fire marshals love the fact that it keeps residuals locked up in the biomass log rather than releasing them all at once.

1 Like