Unknowns In Isolate Conversions

Even with a non-volatile acid?

3 Likes

i have gathered something, if you don’t wanna be “trolled” as you say it, don’t state incorrect information. @roiplek is simply making sure accurate information is on the forum and gets a lot of shit for it simply because people don’t like how he states it or whatever. Be thankful someone cares to correct you

12 Likes

My last 'version with t41 pulled a 98.5 TAC. It doesn’t have to be all whacky. Focus on prep and control of rx.

8 Likes

I didn’t say anything incorrect. Acids & Bases affect things in a boiling flask even with no water. That’s a fact. Things have a pH even with no water. Does he always need someone to fly in with their panties outside their yoga pants to defend him? You his boyfriend or what? Funny his hero’s handle has the word redundant in it, checks out. Unless you can answer my original inquiry why don’t you get off my jock.

incorrect (regardless of presence of water)

incorrect

you want trolling, you get trolling, but with facts. now what?

1 Like

You got 98.5 TAC with T41?
I’m impressed :clap:

6 Likes

I think @Photon_noir went over it on another thread; but what’s the description of something acting as an acid in a non water solution? I.e. HCL in heptane

What categories/descriptor would fit if pH isn’t the correct term

2 Likes

that’s the exact description.

if the solvent can’t get protonated, that’s just all there is to it, unless there’s a base in the mix that will react.

for the concentration of an acid or base in a solvent, weight fraction or molarity/molality are appropriate terms.

pH is a useful scale because in water, there cannot be a stronger acid than H3O+ since water itself acts as a base.

4 Likes

Tell us moar roji @2terps_roji what were the conditions and inputs?!

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

He’s right.

By definition pH is deprotonated ions in water.

Other things functionally act as acids and bases, and their outcomes are the same.

But purely by definition they must be in water to be referred to as pH.

You could be annoyed at the nomenclature of pH, but you gotta take that up with the bigwigs at science, not roiplek.

7 Likes

pH is potential hydrogen meaning it’s potential not actual hydrogen. Kinda like you having the potential to be a piece of shit, you’re not actually a piece of shit but definitely have the potential to be one. That potential could affect a reaction.

Is he being particularly helpful? No

Is he right? Yes

5 Likes

Here’s photons explanation

Electronegativity and electropositivity are probably better ways of describing what we’re doing here. Not pH

4 Likes

pH is the scale used to reference electronegativity or electropositivity. pH is the value of the logarithmic solution to molar concentration of hydrogen ions & receptors. All he’s doing is defining what pH is and saying it’s not pH. He is wrong because pH is needed to refrence the acid or base to solve the heat required for the reaction the lower the pH the more energy already present, a higher pH acid has less H+ ions so more heat energy is needed for the reaction. A high pH tells us it accepts H+ ions. If we are analyzing an unknown compound taking the pH helps eliminate a number of possibilities. Water has nothing to do with any of it. He makes it self evident he is only a parrot repeating the fact that hydrocarbons dont have pH which is true but he is applying the concept all the way across the board which is false, the pH of many anhydrous compounds can be altered, even with nonvolatile acids. His logic only applies to certain solvents.

nope.

p = -log
H = c(H3O+)

I could be, but with the kindergarten level tantrums @artisanextracts is throwing, i choose not to be. This is all absolute n00b level shit that is exhaustively documented in very simple language on Wikipedia, and as such should be read up on there.

2 Likes

If the acids aren’t creating hydronium in an aqueous solution, are the H+ even freely moving around or are they still stuck to their respective molecules.

Also, even if an acid is non-volatile, isnt there potential that it is entrained in your vapor flow as a liquid

3 Likes

Remember, in an organic context “acid” doesn’t universally mean “adds protons” to the solution. It can also mean “takes electrons” from the system if I remember my O chem correctly (Ie Bronsted vs Lewis acids).

IMO @roiplek is being unnecessarily pedantic over the definition of “pH” since pH is just measuring protons to characterize the higher concept of the electronic (as in literal electrons) activity of the solution.

Hell the pH probes everyone uses works by measuring electrical conductivity compared to known pH standard solutions.

6 Likes

If there’s no hydrogen’s leaving the molecule of the acid, how do can one expect the electrons to be “taken”?

1 Like