Undercut the shortpath market! Open source and non-chinese!

So the whole thing should be jacketed not just the condenser area. Helll, you could jacket the flask too, then you could just use a magnetic plate and not a hot plate.

This may not work with inferior vacuum, without a second source of (hotter) oil, but if you want optimal control, jacket everything.

These pics are just examples of jacketed gear not optimized

3 Likes

That’s intruiging… Just do a high temperature oil instead… I like that… Would probably be cheaper than a mantle as well, and definitely more consistent heat.

I don’t understand the longer condenser like that…?

How do you all pump the hot oil?

Hot oil pump? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’m sure there’s something out there

Peristaltic

1 Like

The oil also allows you to cool the run down much quicker if needed.

One of these built into the spd head would be pretty cool.

2 Likes

One must have the manufacturer agree to service the glass if broken (not for free, but glassblowers hate repairs) if it’s going to have a lot of complex parts. Otherwise they have to be separate bc if you break a valve you don’t want to replace the whole unit

I think the cold trap and valve should be separate from the head and pot but the whole unit should be designed together.

Flat bottom flasks stand up easily and take vacuum. They are unusual and still need to be secured of course but they just sit on the table when you aren’t using them. They are made to be round enough to take being fully evacuated.

I’m not sure if this is tested for vacuum but it probably is, and certainly is a good example.

3 Likes

Hey if foaming is a big issue overhead stirring probably would cut it down. I’ve used buchi units with foam sensors that shot argon at the foam once detected… how elaborate do you all want to get?

1 Like

I’m sure this goes without saying, but if this takes off and I incorporate someone’s designs I’ll most assuredly give you a wonderful discount for your help!

1 Like

I think allowing room on the main flask for mods would be a slick idea!

1 Like

I was under the impression that full bore helped the pump keep up with building vapor pressures. “Think of trying to drink a Big Gulp through a coffee straw” was the crude explanation that was said to me.

4 Likes

Ahhhhh ok that makes sense. Maybe there’s some middle ground with how full of bore we’re after.

I wonder if it makes sense to run the column “hot” with oil instead of running it with a vacuum jacket. *Edited

If we’re already talking about overhead stirring and a hot oil jacket on the flask, what about making some type of thin-film short path hybrid? I’m totally spitballing, but if you could build a tall flask and spin the fluid fast enough to stick to the walls, would it not increase surface area and maybe increase speed? It would still be batch processing, but maybe increase throughput? Or maybe just a dumb over-complicated idea that should be done with the correct tool (WFE) instead.

2 Likes

I was thinking both. Waiting until the distilate passively heats up the column isn’t ideal. I’m not really sure the order of steps, if it matters when you pull the vacuum.

If you had a jacketed pressure equalized addition funnel, which was loaded with crude, and a jacketed flask, and a jacketed head with a separate jacketed condenser, you could pull the vac, and add the crude at a rate similar to your rate of obtaining distillate. This would prevent any scorching at all. The flask and the head would be hot - a touch above the bp of the distillate, but the addition funnel and condenser would be just above the optimal liquification temperatures for crude and distillate.

Rather than a lab stand or monkey bars it should have an insulated case that closes around it and supports the parts you need to see.

2 Likes

I feel the advantage of short path is better separation.
This is getting complicated but… It might work with the boiling flask —> wiped film----> column

1 Like

Great idea!

Maybe it should have a few priced models :wink:

2 Likes

Yeaa, I usually default to the “KISS” philosophy, but straying from that philosophy is where innovation comes from I suppose.

On that note, it seems a round bottom cylinder shape of the inner flask would be the correct shape.

1 Like