Un-China'ing your Lneya/Shivhem and I'm sure otherwise branded chiller

A few of you have probably figured out that I’m more than a bit of an electrical nerd by now, well, one of my clients has been having a lot of problems with a large 85 kW water cooled Lneya/Shivhem chiller and aside from a bit of a refrigerant leak, most of the blame falls on bad design and implementation in the power control for the compressor.

First, some carnage!

This is a contactor with less than a week of runtime on it, and as you can see, middle contact blocks are in fine shape and the outers got blasted, melted/ejected some copper and are well on their way to letting the smoke out.

Someone else had messed with it before me, but if you’ve got any problems with a matched set of contactors that drive a star-delta motor starter system, REPLACE ALL 3 AT ONCE. This individual replaced 2 out of 3, and the same problem happened again, likely because there was a problem with the star contactor which goes first (shorting all 3 windings together) before dropping out seconds later and (hopefully) starting up the motor.

And I could have done that, but this customer doesn’t want to screw with blown contactors and downtime every few months, and frankly this could and should have been done better from the factory. So this is what replaced it, a soft starter, wired inside the delta winding, the PLC and ice cube relay wiring changed to not pitch a fit over only having to trigger one output and no more big contactors. Estop and power switch on outside panel both shut down the soft starter alongside the PLC and HMI.

Another nice thing that the factory never bothered with, is that the soft starter monitors and displays running amp draw whenever compressor has been commanded on, and shows it on the display. For now this requires opening up the cabinet door, but we’ve ordered a door relocate kit and cable from the manufacturer so that it can be mounted right next to the HMI so everything can be viewed from the outside without opening it up.

To make this job a bit more difficult, the OEM either doesn’t have or won’t share wiring diagrams for these things. Assholes. Without their help, I built my own for how it was from the factory, as well as how it is wired now with the soft starter.

Pic shown without all the cable tray covers on as someone else had lost a couple of them, but they will be replaced next time I’m on site.

7 Likes

Just from seeing the carnage piic, I guess it’s single phasing…

That is when on three phase one phase is missing. Check three phase voltage and current when running (phase to phase and phase to neutral/ground).

This chiller does have a phase rotation relay that will trip out if a phase is missing or if its phased backwards. I personally suspect the reason it blew up that contactor was because the star contactor was also damaged, and failing to get the compressor spun up before it switched over to the delta configuration means a huge amp draw, more than the contactor could handle.

There may be three phase at the phase rot relay and it’s all good, but if any issue after that drops out one phase going to that motor it’s single phasing. Which produces huge currents on two phases and none on the third. It’ just a guess from 20 years of industrial troubleshooting experience.

Shivhem? Omfglol. Dude has so many lawsuits against him for selling defective shit.

4 Likes

lol AND for a scam to get US citizenship for he and his wife.

Motherfucker owes me like $25k in consulting hours, travel and raw materials. Shivhem and the owner, Sharma, are complete trash. Also, their website and probably company no longer exists so dudes prolly in the wind.

Dude is trash, his nephew is a cool dude. Used to walk around the job site praying for the workers safety.

Is he still peddling those ethanol systems paired with the non-asme stamped boilers?

Dude was shady af. Using one job site as a dumping grounds for customs for other jobs. Bringing over Chinese labor to do welding. What a shit show.

I thought he was in the wind like three years ago.

There was that one system in Ardmore (owned by his former electrician) and the other in Washington state that I saw operational. I don’t think any of the others even got assembled? We had to hire an engineer and redesign ours from the ground up. Reconfigured the rising/falling film reactors as falling film. Went bankrupt before we could get it together from fixing all his fuckups.

Based on what I saw at his place, I would believe all that and probably far worse.

@EverettMarm I worked on the chillers at Ardmore returning one of them to factory PLC setup after an overpaid HVAC contractor did a “retrofit” well at least changing out the PLC, HMI and temp probes then never bothering to commission it.

The one in Arvada Colorado is functioning but it took an insane amount of myself and @Dabatronicus time undoing a bunch of Sharma’s shoddy install

Who is his nephew? Btw I bet we could swap some stories if you ever got time for a call

2 Likes

This is his nephew. Huge guy. Don’t remember his name.

And the walrus-faced cunt himself

Can anyone understand him when he speaks?

Technically doxing guy s
Easy on the pic s please

Look at the beam this boiler was placed on (Nevermind the ripped flashing). They tried to butt-weld it, and when it cracked they just put a bigger beam underneath it. The whole thing bent when they lifted it with the factory installed lift rings.

This was one of the boilers they sold us. The other was worse.

1 Like