Ultrasonic Transducer As Part of Extraction Process

Setting fire safety aside for this thought.

I’ve played with ultrasonic tech a bit and wondering.

What if a submergible ultrasonic transducer was used as part of the washing process. Say with something like ethanol?

Would this maybe create a faster wash with less risk of other unwanted things from getting into the bath?

Mostly a shower thought, but wanted to see we if someone has played with this idea. Peep this submersible transducer:

2 Likes

Soooo…just from a professional standpoint…the second you say “putting fire safety aside for a second” everything else following this statement is Charlie Brown adult speak lmao

5 Likes

haha the only thing I meant by that was I am not sure if there are fire safety issues with a design like that.

1 Like

This is “in theory”

Learning can still happen folks

3 Likes

I used to be extracting with ultrasound baths either ethanol, methanol or hexane as. Solvent
It does help in the extraction speed but you loose that time in cleaning up for it pulls more nasty s
Overall not some tech to discard
Yust haven t found the time yet to finetune still many questions on it s use

3 Likes

A strong ultrasonic field will disrupt cell walls and let the chlorophyll out.
Not a good idea for the same reason that chopping biomass is inferior to shredding it by hand.
A weak field like in an ultrasonic bath should improve mass transfer and reduce extraction times.

4 Likes

If you get something expensive where you can precisely control the power then you can find the right spot. Get the stuff you want and not the stuff you don’t. Otherwise you just have to guess and you are definitely down in the bath cleaning sonication range, but getting the ratio of volume to power just right would be a game.

1 Like

Power is one but frequencie is another
And pretty confident that frequecie matters most

True! To dial it in perfect requires getting the power and frequency right. I’m used to working in labs where power was all they cared about, brute force is in fact a method in chemistry, lol.

Frequency is super important. Pretty sure that’s how they break up kidney stones without killing all the tissue in between.

1 Like

Interesting. I should run a bench test and see what frequencies and direction of frequency work best

this is an interesting read and a possible starting point. Not really relevant to trim but has interesting data:

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rsif.2014.0866

2 Likes