Ultrasonic nano emulsion

hey guys,

i see most Syrps are made with thc destillate. is it possible to make a nano emulsion with rosin? i mean sth like a fullspectrum syrup? :slightly_smiling_face:

thank you.

1 Like

Nano Emulsion can be made with any Cannabis Concentrate.
The nano part is just the particle size (sub 35nm) that creates the speedy uptake.

3 Likes

What @Ddope_16 said, you can have Crude nano, live resin nano, distillate nano, isolate nano, and yes… Rosin nano. Keep us posted, would love to see it!

thank you guys :slight_smile: i will try it soon!

like i see the „best“ one is from a company named hielscher from germany. i am from
germany but too much for me just for playing around and i just ordered a freez dryer :sweat_smile:

but this device is like 4-5000 Euro. I bought a cheap one now from amazon ~800 Euro.

I thought about mixing my extract with a bit olive oil and then pour it in water with some lecitin (liquid) and ultrasonic it until it gets clear again.

i heard that you have to cool it down while mixing because it gets kind of hot.

Its a bit more complicated than that, ezpecially if you want a shelf stBle product.

You know when you mix oil and water, the oil goes rancid quite quickly right?

Think about every step of the products process flow before jumping in

1 Like

what do you mean its more complicated like that?

i need water, oil, my decarbed extract and a emulsifier. and my ultrasonic emulsifier or am i wrong?

why you think it goes rancid? you have sources? its difficult for me to find stuff about it.

Depending on what surfactants/emulsifiers (natural vs artificial), the combination with water is a natural breeding ground for mold.

Things to also consider are preservatives, pH of the overall suspension, order of addition of ingredients are just a few.

3 Likes

You can make your product shelf stable up to 1 ywar by adding (depending on product syrups for ex: need 1 oz of sodium benzoate to every gallon of product)

Do you know what freq that sonicator “blasts” at?

The only issue i see occuring is that its not the right type but i dont know cause i cant read the language but every thing you mentioned sounds good you shouldve issues besides the fact that nanoemulsions(more so the emulsifer) will make it taste hella bitter, although syrup of all things used would cover it best likely.

hey ! i use liquid lecitin and distilled water. distilled water has a pH of 4-5?!

step 1 mix the extract with mct, coconut, olive oil. like 10 ml with 40 ml oil.

step 2 take roomtemp distilled water and pour the emulsifier in, mix it first slowly and then pour the extract in too

OR

mix the emulsifier directly with the olive oil and extract and pour all 3 in the distilled water? :slight_smile:

step 3 take care that the solution is not getting hotter than 45 degress celsius, if needed, put the glass in a bigger bowl with cold / ice water.

step 4 when the solution looks milky do the nano emulsion until it gets clear again.

that was my plan by having no plan :joy: trial and error :slight_smile:

but i am happy for any tips and ideas.

have a nice weekend guys! love this forum :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::+1:t4::+1:t4: germany is stone age in cannabis section

hey :slight_smile: you were faster than me! :slight_smile:

thank you! the power of this ultrasonic is 45 to 500 W, processing capacity 0,1 to 500 ml and 30 khz frequenzy.

and yes i read sth about the bitter taste. but like you mentioned, i hope the syrup is covering it. if not, i heard there a bitter blockers.

Why is it difficult?

Are you aware of the fact that you need to run your product through a membrane after you directly sonicate it?

The homogenizer horns are apt to shed nano-particles of aluminum and titanium and whatever chineseum the cheap ones are made out- into your product.

You will never see a pharma company directly sonicate a product and then bottle it, they will always post filter via nano-membrane filtration.

@MagisterChemist can you weigh in on this?

3 Likes

Probably even a very small membrane is sufficient, even a flat sheet. While these nanoparticles may be “small” they’re very big by my standards. The filters have extremely high throughputs in such a system.

2 Likes

My point is that most folks don’t even know to use them- would you be able to recommend a membrane for this purpose?

1 Like

Sure. Something like Synder LY would probably be fast and appropriate. Only needs 50 psi or so can be run off a basic pump.

1 Like

noo i meant difficult that its sometimes not easy for me to get everything in english especially lab vocab but i do my best :slight_smile:

then i will get a filter where i run it through. i try to get one like you recommended.

thank you guys :slight_smile:

I’m going to say that you will have mixed results. Surfactants are blended to HLB’s, and a Full Spectrum Extract can change the chemistry too significantly to get the desired particle size(below 250nm.) Furthermore, one strain/run may run smooth and another may not emulsify as well. As far as shelf stable you need a water activity test to determine if your liquid is shelf stable.
A quality sonicator that won’t have you running 20ml batches Industrial Sonomechanics BHUT. (trust me the cheap ones can’t do volume.)
I’m selling my lightly used one - SOLD - Nanoemulsion Suite 15K All in One LOT

You must filter with something below 1 micron. Doesn’t matter what, but all the titanium that sheds is above that size. Call it 900 nm to be sure to grab any small outliers.

I would argue that even a full spectrum extract shouldn’t have any problems hitting the proper particle size, it may just require a different surfactant system but full spectrum to isolate and everything in between should have no problems getting sub 200nm particle size.

I have put together several different surfactant blends already and none of them have tested above 100nm in particle size after I have finished, and all of them so far have had an onset time of no more than 30min, each one being tested by several people (onset time for the effects of THC as I work primarily with THC distillate). Everything gets filtered through a sterile 0.22u PES filter post sonication to ensure removal of sonication metal. I know there are peristaltic based filtration units as well. Both peristaltic driven and vacuum assisted filtration should both achieve the desired outcome so long as the right sized membrane is being used.

Been lurking a lot here and having a hard time finding much more info about post filtration of homogenized sample…I’ve seen people recommend certain filter sizes and such but having a tough time figuring out what flasks or containers the solution filters into?

You can filter into whatever container you want to filter into. I would suggest food grade stainless steel. You can filter with a capsule filter, with a buchner funnel using filter paper, etc… Several ways to achieve the same thing. I would suggest a 0.22 micron size. Often times Nylon or PES would suffice as the filter material type.

3 Likes