Ultrasonic bath vacuum oven

I am wondering if anyone here has thought to put a plexiglass lid on a bath filled with ball bearings and pull vac on it, I need to find a cheap way to purge residual solvents from crude oil.

I’ve only ever considered using ultrasonics as a means to create “water soluble” products like tinctures. I would assume the ultrasonics would serve as a good source of agitation similar to the rotation in a roto vap, I would guess that doing this could assist solvent removal. The viscosity of the crude may be too great to allow for cavitation to occur, which would eliminate any chance of benefit, ignoring any heating features of a bath.

Interesting question though, if you ended up trying it out I would be interested in knowing your results.

The ultrasound can actually greatly hinder evaporation if the viscosity of the evaporate and temps are not precisely tuned and controlled - you can get better evaporation rates but I don’t think a Rotovap is the way.

I bet you could make a pretty neat rig to rapidly purge oil at high enough temp that the viscosity isn’t an issue. 10 minutes at 60C isn’t going to decarb your slab but you could conceivably purge to ND levels in that time. Not sure if the cavitation would cause instasugar though.

1 Like

Cavitation would likely cause insta sugar

4 Likes

would be a good thing if your making carts and want to only decarb the cannabinoids by quickly crashing/separate the layers and avoid heating the flavor portion.

1 Like

I mean maybe that’s a feature not a bug. Combine with the fritted centrifuge method. Step 2 profit

4 Likes

If you just put a cold trap on your pump and heat to 115f you will cook off contaminate hexane and solvent

Ultrasonic irradiation has the potential to manipulate the viscosity of a solution, which if the effect of a decrease in viscosity caused by ultrasound can be maintained to some degree as solvent evaporates and the solution becomes more concentrated then it would be a viable option.

I would assume that if you did find a good range of frequency of ultrasound that was effective at manipulating the viscosity of a mostly purged extract that the terpenes would leave the extract at a much faster rate.

And terps hence coldtrap but it will remediate and pass

We already know heat and vacuum work, what he wants to discuss is the addition of another factor that can manipulate the physical charactersitics of a solution or substance to yield an increase in the rate of evaporation.

1 Like

Would love to see my finishing ovens with a nice ultrasonic buzz :rofl::rofl: wonder how it would effect the seal