Turning a closed column into a closed loop?

I think all of our general advice is get your shit from killa haha.

Except the tank, @Hansel does have a point about upgrading in the future.

Not gonna lie, I thought about it, but then realized if I keep up sizing, I’ll never stop!

2 Likes

I always liked solvent that the same size as my collection pot. it made easier cooling bc I could use the same cooler for both

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice everyone yeah that recovery tank looks smaller and holds less than they say. Lol yes i am mistaken its just leaking out a few seconds and it’s pressure tested. So ditching this column is best bet? :thinking::v:

I suggest the 12x12 collection, its like 300 for the base and 300 for the lid, then 125 in clamp and gasket, 100 for valves and guage and you have the basis for your closed loop. I also suggest whatever base you get get one with handles.

1 Like

you still.can use it just need the proper reducer

2 Likes

It looks like it already ends in 1.5 triclamp, you just need a base, hoses, valves. You can use the tank the butane comes in for injecting and recovery as long as you have a big enough recovery to distill it all at once. The thing with that is potential rust.

1 Like

You’d be recontaminating the gas you just distilled if the tank isn’t 100% clean

1 Like

I kinda swish it around to try and get any mystery oil out of the main tank. Generally the tank is pretty clean and only a little mystery oil, if you see flakes then the tank is no good.

I run the tank of solvent upside down so its liquid, then swish it around near when its empty/ It goes into my collection and then I distill it and put it back in the tank. If I distill straight out the tank then you are correct. The 20 lbs of solvent in the tank shouldve cleaned any crap out. When you guys run stainless tanks do you reclean them after distilling the first time? I just bought a 50 lb refrigerant recovery for the dual ports but stayed with carbon. I am iffy on having a tank of solvent on triclamp gaskets but probably wind up getting a stainless tank eventually if I find one on sale.

2 Likes

If you flip it upside down and empty through a vapor port like you said I can see it getting pretty clean. I’m still not sure I would trust that though and it seems pretty wasteful in the long run. Better than just running straight from the tank I suppose.

When running stainless tanks I try to clean the tank anytime I’m switching to a new batch of gas.

1 Like

when and why do you switch gas? I usally top off. Ive changed gases and now its a bit of a mystery, I have some of everything in there including whip it cans.

If I’m running the same gas or blend from the same company I may just top it off. When running blends topping off is necessary to maintain the correct ratio. I try not to mix gases and clean when it gets close to empty just for piece of mind.

makes sense, Im having a bit of issue now that i used notro im not sure the vapor pressure of my solvent. I keep venting and maybe wasting a bit of gas. Im gonna wait ill I get dry ice to fully get rid of head pressure and then fill my tank again. Im scale shopping tonight and thatll solve it so that i dont overfill, i dont think this refrigerant tank has a fill valve safety. I probably wouldve got the stainless- i couldve got it from china by now but it was just before I found future4200 and didnt know stainless is standard. OOPS I got off topic again. Im done

1 Like

Nah, you can use the column.

Basically we’ve all kinda given you a few directions to go with.

You need to decide what a realistic budget you have for this is, pick the direction you want to go with, take the advice we’ve all laid out, and start building a parts list.

At minimum you’re looking at another 500 bucks to play with a cls. And you’ll find out fast you’ll need to spend more to make some fire extracts.

2 Likes

after looking at china for a solvent tank- 400 shipping. But i could get 10 tanks for the 400. Its daunting but you can source your system from china for a discount. I missed out on the fidget spinners dammit.

Or

@Killa12345 for the glycerin filled gauge

Dernord on Amazon has 1,000wog 304 stainless parts for pretty cheap.

Seal your shit with

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Blue-Monster-70827-3-4-x-1000-Gas-Guard-PTFE-Thread-Sealing-Tape

Yw

4 Likes

I love killas 1lb system. I have pretty much the same thing, just with a smaller material column. I only run around a QP at a time anyway, so it’s got plenty of room for growth.

I’d second your point on just going with a fully pressure tested system. I opted to buy parts and build it myself. It sounded like a good idea, but I fucked up some fittings in the process and had to buy a new tank lid and fittings. I also had to tear it down and fix leaks about 5 times before it passed the pressure test. Time is more valuable than $$

4 Likes

It looks like we’ve all given dude plenty of tips now at this point.

@Terpthirsty, and idea on what you wanna do???

I’m dying to know!

3 Likes

So I am considering going bigger than I originally thought because I have a feeling most or right and I want to read it anymore I don’t have a whole lot of consistent material to work with so I kind of wanted to keep it more
On the smaller side try to perfect smaller batches and move my way up to our bigger system hopefully by reselling . The only issue is this column is obviously pretty substantially big so I have been looking at some close loops of abaze has a mini 45g1 that’s $400 I 8will say that’s a little too small I wish I could find a 90 to 130g to play with that I could afford right now I think I’m probably best off being patient and going through killa

1 Like

So what is your ideal run size?

A qp at time like @clouds? Fyi, I’m about the same as him, I run a qp to a hp per run, so we kinda know what kinda system you should get.

2 Likes