Tubing for compression fittings.....

So I going to start using some compression fittings on my rig. 3/8 diameter lines. The tubing used for said lines…annealed stainless. But what wall thickness are y’all running? I would assume seamless tubing would be ideal, but because I am not forming the ends I doubt seamless is necessary. Welded tubing is about 1/4 the cost of seamless. Because I will be bending said tubes slightly, I was thinking .028 wall thickness would be suficent.

What tubing do you use for your compression lines? Welded or seamless? What wall thicknesses?

I am a machinist and know a significant amount about metal…i could be over thinking this completely.

@Soxhlet could answer this I am sure…

4 Likes

Hi,
for 3/8 tube I like .049 wall , defiantly go with the seamless tube. The thicker tube bends easier in the die, and resists kinking.

4110 psi @ 72*f

7 Likes

Thank you sir. I knew I could just DM you, but thought maybe it would be helpful info for others.

I appreciate ya @Soxhlet

8 Likes

No probleo,
let us know how your tube bending adventure goes!

1 Like

Just throwin my 2cents here: I use 0.035" seamless tubing, Its rated around 2900psi@72F. Havent had it kink on me while working with it, but co-workers have.

Hadn’t looked at the 0.049" until I read Soxhlet’s post, I’ll go with that on my next order, the benefits he lays out make sense.

Thing that gets me most with tubing is the shipping for lengths over 6ft. Pick it up at will-call will save some dough. If getting lengths less than 6ft it should be able to be shipped regular UPS/FedEx

2 Likes

try going through a local distributor, we get 20 foot long sticks. What part of the country are you in? I can probably find you something local to you.

2 Likes

Is the tubing hard piped? I cant picture what you guys are saying

2 Likes

like this

2 Likes

Im often traveling for instals/service so depends on whats available. In the past 6months ive started calling Ferguson’s a month ahead of time (if i can) to order the tubing i need and theyll make sure to have some stock for me. Locally in PDX I use swagelok will call. Worst case ive had to use Mcmaster for 6ft lengths LOL!

2 Likes

if you travel by car you can break the 20 footers down with a pipe cutter for transport.

2 Likes

McMaster carr is my go to for a lot of my odds and ends. I looked there…then immediately asked the question here. Their pricing is rough on stuff like this. I’m hoping to find some locally myself in the Puget sound area…should be pretty easy.

1 Like

try these guys
http://www.pspipe.com/

if they don’t have it try this:

3 Likes

Online Metals a division of Thyssen Krupp

1 Like

for sure, swagelok NW wouldnt even loan me a pipe cutter one time I forgot mine and had to pay em a stupid price to cut my 20s down to 10s LOL! I dont spend enuff there per yr to get any special treatment obviously…Needless to say I dont use swage for tubing anymore unless i absolutely have to. Ill check out your source, never used em before. Thx!

2 Likes

distributionNOW stocks 20’ sticks too

that link is good for the puget sound area, I can find a supplier that is local to you as well.

2 Likes

If you need any kind of quantity, McMaster and swagelok have absolutely horrible pricing. Find a dedicated stainless yard and get a quote. It may take a few days turnaround but it’s well worth it. We went from paying $6-8/ft from McMaster to $1.85. we went from $31/ft for medium pressure tubing to $6/7. I know most people on here are on the wrong coast, but Atlantic Stainless in Attleboro MA and Penn Stainless (multiple locations, guess where) have both been good to us.

2 Likes

:rofl: your over in attleboro area to?

yea local is key, shipping 20ft sticks can end up costing about same if not more than the steel itself. CrackMasterCarr has saved my ass a few times, but I sure paid for it! (and had to get unions cause they dont sell 20ft sticks)

A local Ferguson’s plumbing can usually hold some stock if ya ask em. or if ya lucky someone else in your area already has em keeping stock . Not as bad as swagelok thats for sure

I used to be a lot closer lol. Even when I was in NH full time we still bought from Atlantic because they’re honestly just the best prices and easiest to work with. Real solid company.

@CollectiveObjective I honestly have always had a ton of issues with Ferguson, they’ve always either treated me like a kid that doesn’t know anything or a hoity-toity white collar that wants some specialty shit. But, your point is well made about supply houses; united refrigeration and FW Webb (again, northeast only) are my go-to supply houses.

That being said, pretty much any steel yard that does stainless will crush a plumbing supply house’s price. For 3/8 MP tubing, we went from $39/foot with butech to $19/foot with United to $6/foot with Atlantic lol.

1 Like