Tricks of the trade

Also, it’s not unheard of to run these refrigerant compressors over what they’re spec’d for.

That’s something I learned from the folks at xtremesystems.

3 Likes

Are you doing this to chill your tank?

Most 404 compressors are rated for around 400 psig, r410 units are rated for 600 or so. R744 units (Copeland ZO series) are rated for 1100 but getting the other system components to run that high becomes a challenge.

Scroll compressors really don’t have an issue with duty cycle, I wouldn’t think twice about having a unit run flat out for days at a time. Compression ratio and head temperature are really the big concerns. Using a unit that has liquid or vapor injection (common for freezer compressors) will help keep the discharge temp below 350f which is where you start to burn oil. Keep the discharge pressure low enough that the CR doesn’t exceed 10:1. Also, you can do a two stage system with two compressors in series on the same loop to get up to 100:1 CR without any trouble. Issue is that the vapor density is super low if you really operate at that ratio, which is why cascade tends to be more efficient.

4 Likes

No. I’m interested in powering recovery with a chiller. I have a counterflow coil going directly in to my dry ice coil. I expect the counterflow and DIY chiller to just take some of the load off the dry ice coil…I’ll find out Monday or Tuesday.

3 Likes

Would using lc02 just for recovery be too much trouble? You could make a, quite literal, tube in shell and have the tube be an lc02 cold finger that would be able to handle recovery. Or you’re trying to get it done with electricity? I wonder if you can find a propane ac unit and use its condenser for that.

3 Likes

Love this idea

1 Like

Anyone who uses Distillate as grease for SPD, I would love to read any tricks you have for this!

In our attempt at this application, we heated the distillate for ease of application on the glass. However, once it’s applied to the glass and twisted to create the seal, the distillate will harden and stick to the male joint and not the female joint.

We haven’t tried a full build after discovering once it’s applied and cools down that it does not look like it will hold.

Any ideas?

2 Likes

Use ptfe sleeves in addition to the distillate

4 Likes

I did order those sleeves! Pumped about trying them, how many runs do you get for each sleeve? If you run hot condenser would that ruin the sleeve? Distillate with the sleeve on the inside or outside? or sleeve on one portion and distillate lube other areas?

1 Like

I have used them once so far. They can withstand the temps. I think I put disty on both sides, I think.

2 Likes

So swapping refrigerant from 410a to 404a would be a good place to start in this journey huh?

1 Like

Careful there: you want to be putting 404a refrigerant in a 410 unit. If you do it the other way, you’ll be blowing refrigerant out of the relief valve pretty quick

3 Likes

It s been a while since my last trick
But I think this is the easiest to transfer solvents dry
One hose with a needle from argon to the solvent bottle of Wich the cap is slowly opened to release the argon
Once done I stab the solvent bidon with a larger selfmade ss needle Wich is connected to the reactor
I stab it in while still hot of the oven drying and only push it in not into the solvent yet
I then close the cap tight again and let it purge all air for a bit
Once ready I push the thick needle in the solvent and the argon pressure pushes solvent to the reactor

26 Likes

In chem labs, we just pour sieves into the bottle with the solvent to keep it dry during use. love the positive pressure transfer here though. diy dip tube tech.

5 Likes

Since most of my work is rogue I try to find ways to have to carry as little as possible to the working place
So the solvent arrives and sieves get placed in the same jerry can fill it to the rim to have as little as possible air inside and stab them when needed

8 Likes

Vacuum leaks are very hard to detect so
I prefure positive pressure
To make sure I keep moisture out

7 Likes

Cannula transfer is the best way to keep atmosphere out of reagents for sure. Might want to work on a better seal for this one though:

1 Like

No fucking way

1 Like

On 100 liter reactors cannula sucks
That way of entry is because I can guarantee dryness after the valve so the silicone hose passes treu the ball
The reactor needs to cool prior to administering the solvent 200C and once with the closed valve those 2 “” are in plain air

I only meant the cannula style, obviously moving 30L of solvent through a .050 tube isn’t practical lol. What I meant was why not clamp a barb adapter to that tri clamp so the whole thing is sealed.

Pro trick for anyone else, if you need a 1/2" barb to NPT adapter and don’t have one, a compression fitting with a stub of stainless tube sticking out of it works pretty well

7 Likes