Tricks of the trade

https://www.swagelok.com/en/catalog/Product/Detail?part=SS-43GS6

Lubricant is the 13th specification listed.

3 Likes

I clean my valves of any potential grease b4 installing them on a system. Plus, I never noticed any grease on my valves in the first place. I run hamlets not swage.

2 Likes

You can order them without lube. I forget the part number suffix, but you can def get them without lube.

I have seen ppl lube gaskets and their oil is 1000% fine. I donā€™t because we are lazy. We Only have had to replace the big 12ā€ so far. We use viton all around.

@SamuraiSam I met your homie Christian yesterday. Super smart and nice guy :+1:

5 Likes

wouldnā€™t it?

9 Likes

With Swagelok their standard cleaning is SC-10 and the optional special cleaning and packaging is SC-11. https://www.swagelok.com/downloads/webcatalogs/EN/MS-06-63.PDF There is still lubricant used but itā€™s a different type. Krytox 240AC for SC-11. If no lubricant was used, contamination from wearing parts would be higher, and valve failure more frequent.

Christianā€™s a real nice guy!

Yup youā€™re right. I never read the fine print.

2 Likes

A bunch of stuff in the heads is real runny? Might work as a decent lube. Obviously make sure the gasket is compatible with the terpenes. But maybe that might be a solution that people are sitting on gallons of :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

vacuum works great.

Yeah i have been paying attention to the comments I like the idea of using D-Limonene and soap and water. Ill be running some tests on that soon enough. Thanks @Curious_Roberto

When i was first taught about CLS operation I noticed that the dude would always take a towel sprayed down with ISO and sort of pull it thru the towel in a clenched fist, once done he would just set it down and let it dry out.
Seemed like pulling a gasket like that would stretch it out and ruin it in that way before it was given a chance to crack.

Besides that over time i noticed that over time the sort of glossy black color of the gasket would slowly transition to a dirty brownish color before eventually starting to crack. After i learned about using a very small amount of virgin coconut oil to keep things nice and fresh i dont have to replace them as often as we once did. None of the flavor contaminates my extracts tho iā€™ve never had a test that detects anything other than general potency. I am not saying this is the best solution for gasket maintenance but it sure beats replacing them every month or few weeks.

2 Likes

Who do you get B80 from? BVV or Carbon Chemistry?

From ebay.

2 Likes

Corona Cash and Carry in CA has 20kg. B80 for like $65 before tax i think. Check them out thats the cheapest ive seen it go for other than chemtek i think they do 10kg for $55 plus tax/shipping

2 Likes

Ebay for sure :+1:. A full bag for like $100 shipped.

2 Likes

The same guy does S55 too. Similar pricing.

1 Like

what a full bag? weight wise?

25.2 kG

2 Likes

I think itā€™s like 150 if itā€™s shipped to the west coast. I remember my price was similar to what you quoted, Iā€™m out east, and someone else said the cost was 150 for them, but they were in cali.

This was maybe 6 months to a year ago though.

1 Like

call up Carbon Chemistry their PurFlo B80 is way cheap

1 Like

That is East coast shipping price.

1 Like

Cheers fellow east coaster! Lol

2 Likes