Tricks of the trade

Always backseat the valve on a high pressure gas cylinder, the valve will leak through the stem untill it is backseated.

Clean glassware as soon as it is done being used, it is usually easier to clean.

Always distill your solvents before use if suspect them to be dirty.

plant material needs to be sorted / screened before running. It may have pesticides that you aren’t expecting/and forign material.

Keep your syringes clean when running gc, the chemical for derivatization can polymerize inside the syringe.

Always assume that all vessels are under pressure!

always wear your ppe!

47 Likes

How does one backseat the valve on a high pressure cylinder?

Google was not forthcoming on the matter :slight_smile:

10 Likes

https://weldingweb.com/archive/index.php/t-461171.html
just open the valve untill it stops.:sunglasses:

19 Likes

Once had a massive bump distilling and all My glasswear got dirty
I was still working with a classen glas setup (old school)
After trying to disstill iT out with etho ,aceton iT was all still black started fideling with q tips useless
I fild My flask with thinner Car paint solvent main component being touleen
Distilled that and glas got brand new clean
So whenever i Need to really clean touleen works for me

9 Likes

Ok so My seperatory funnel broke in the mountais of marocco luckely i had Some chromatography colums
Searchd for a big (5 gal) big bottel
Cut the botom of ( watch video)
Gleud the chromatograpy colomn in the bottel with epoxy Sanded the bottel rim and epoxy spils
Put a pipe insulation strip on the rim
Hang iT up and ready to gohttps://youtu.be/2keRTbA2zAQ

7 Likes

Only when we were open blasting at your mom’s :wink:

49 Likes

Hè beaker the prism is a trick of the trade to sweat have mine ready for use now
And You weren t kiding for your affinity with fiberglass cloth😀

1 Like

So sonicated a jar and Yes iT works less smell :grinning: But My question is why does that happen ? Any idee

4 Likes

This bad boy needs to be tagged or whatever it’s called IMO!

This is a must!!!

Do u realize the time u can help save someone

I think u guys slid me forward 2yrs immediately w my understanding, operating,and application of s CLS…im like a big sponge!

And helped me get one!!! Kudos!!!

Maybe one day I can add something!!!:blush::blush::blush::blush: :blush::blush:

Speaking tagging thread…once this gets tagged,

Why don’t ones like OTSS tek or threads tagged or whatever it’s called stay stuck at the top the main page?

Should they not since they locked in? The important ones at least! Like at g.c. and I’m sure thousand other places

6 Likes

HEY HEY I GOT SOMETHING!!! Don’t know if said yet but instead spending $100
On special packing rod

Just make ur own…SS washer the size ur ID of column then braised to a threaded rod…
All right next to each other at hardware store
$2

Fits perfect had for 2yrs! And takes my whole body weight when running dry

11 Likes

I keep my extra vac oven shelves in the deep freezer. once you transfer a slab from the oven to a cold tray flipping it becomes a breeze. after flip i slide it back to it’s original shelf as to not drop the temp of the oven. i also transfer slabs to these cold trays when packaging up grams. The trays have little mass so they warm up quick when using them for packaging so today i’m headed to pickup 2 slabs of marble or granite or whatever i can get cheapest that’s around 10"sq. I think with two 1"+ stone slabs by the time one started to warm up the one in the freezer should be cold and this is going to make packaging into grams so much easier.

20 Likes

You put a frozen material column inside of a material column? I really like that move @Roguelab …It’s like a sock but you can actually cram it full.

Heres my short list, mostly related to CLS:

-Use acetone, not isopropyl for cooling slurry (less slushy water retention)
-Got a roll of microfiber cloths for cleanup. Use 2 buckets: 1 for extremely dirty, one for kinda dirty. Keep some solvent in both to keep rags saturated. (Saves a lot of rags, cleaning solvent, and some additional product.)
-Average chiller coils fit perfectly in a paint can, do what you will with that.
-If material is moist, shoot nitrogen through material column, then vac at room temp for 15 mins or so, THEN run gas as usual. lower moisture = better yield, shattery-er shatter
-Use Auger styler drill bit to clear stubborn material columns
-Chimney sweep tools work great for gunked up material columns
-Some website, future4200.com has some decent tips too

32 Likes

go to placesthat fabricate countertops, ask them for a reminent peice, or better yet old samples. I Have gotten marble and granate samples that they were litterally throwing away.

14 Likes

Put good resin in the top of the material column. Done.

4 Likes

Yes so i have 20 pipes of stainless steel wich diameter is in metric size they are thin walled fir there normal use is for gas exhaust of gas fireplaces
I pack them then trow em in the freezer packed
I use Thermo sientific. Freezer Wich is 45" high inside so the tubes are made to fit the freezer
then blast them out once put back in the freezer turn them upside down and blast again to get the last bit out
Works for me

7 Likes

I’m curious? Plant material or resin?

1 Like

Plant material flowers or clippings
My blast tubes are 4"x48"
In marroko i have been blasting kief as material also

5 Likes

I like your paint can idea with acetone, I’m going to try that instead of igloo coolers with denatured alcohol. Oh I’m gonna get that auger bit also - thank you so much for that - I bought a filter sock from xtractor depot recently and used it today. It’s trash, broke on first run. But that auger bit will make that sock obsolete!
What do you use to chill your solvent tank?

2 Likes

I use chillers

4 Likes

I filled a top-opening chest freezer with a mixture of water and propylene glycol (corrosion inhibited) that drops to -20f. $300 for freezer and 5 gallons of PG, another $100 for a thermostat controller or free bypassing of thermostats would get the compressor to run constantly and maintain -20f. Will suck on electricity and shorten lifespan but these freezers are $150.

Not sure about safety but it’s lived for 3 months so far. I put the collection base and solvent tank in the liquid and stack the material column, dewax spool, filter stack horizontally on top of the base and tank. Builds enough cooling to do a passive extraction. Will even recover to a vacuum with the hot side at only 65f. Liquid is usually 0f after done recovering from collection tank and material column.

18 Likes