Tricks of the trade

Too bad the torque from an air motor sucks, you have to spin the thing fast through a gear reduction to make up for lost torque. I just use the good ol’ pusher stick! :muscle::crazy_face:

12 Likes

Column socks…

9 Likes

i let my spools sit outside ovenight before cleaning, I only do 1-2LB runs

1 Like

Nitrogen works great for emptying columns as well, gets 5lbs out like a small cannon lol.

10 Likes

Or air compressors save the nitro for the system :wink:

7 Likes

Good call…here is a little more detail.

• Qaulity glassware shouldn’t require vacuum grease.

• cleaning with a good sprayer makes things a bit easier. The nozzle can go further in the glassware. Setting on spray/mist by inserting in the neck of the flask washes of the sides.

• Avoid sonicating glassware. Over time it will weaken the glass.

• Wrap a stir bar in a scrubby and put on stir plate to get off nasty tar.

17 Likes

Dear @Confluence. The statement good glasswear doesn t Need Grease is one that i can not agree with
I work under deep vacuum meaning that i have preassures of about 1 kg / cm 2 on My glass it gets heated and while heated i Need to be able to move iT
Without Grease i might get away with movment a couple if times but When i Cool My glass after a run and want to dimantel hmm with the heat and pressure there is No way dissassmbeling is gona happen without hazard
So Please don t advise working without Grease Some of us have expensive glass wear and Some of us have cheap but iT has cost us tremendouse effort to obtain
Guy s Grease your glasswear at all times

41 Likes

That’s what I was taught, too!

2 Likes

Soxhlet
Leader
19h
If the oil was really hot you could have smoked it, check for oil contamination upstream with a blacklight. Hydrocarbons will flurece under blacklight. Change the oil, check for contamination, clean then reassemble! It is possible that the jetstack has some char in it, you can take it out and lightly scrub it with scotchbrite and acetone, then reassemble.Diff pumps are pretty indestructable, clean them out and change the oil and your good to go!
@Soxhlet has long sleaves as i expected :grinning:
Search for vacuumpump oil inside a glass system for vacuum oil contamination with a blacklight :upside_down_face: Nice one !

3 Likes

drPaul
2h
If your vacuum gauge bottoms out at a reading of 0.001 in Hg (inches of mercury), that’s 0.025 mm Hg (25 mTorr). That’s not enough low-end resolution for this application. Your Welch 1400 is rated to pull as low as 0.1 mTorr, and most direct-drive pumps (with fresh oil) will pull between 7 and 20 mTorr. You won’t see those levels with your gauge.
Gum rubber tubing is pretty old-school. It will tend to absorb terpenes, which contribute to “background,” or in other words, eventually you will not be able to pump below whatever the terps’ aggregate vapor pressure is. The wire-in pvc is now in general use in instrument applications, and has the added advantage of transparency: when it starts to get fouled, you can at least see the material building up, and either remove to clean, or replace. Gum rubber doesn’t give that added clue that it’s outlived its life.
@drPaul Gives Some good advise Maybe not a trick but a great tip :smile:
Thank You @drPaul

8 Likes

@Dred_pirate explains the utility of a N2 generator over buying tanks.

6 Likes

What kind of chiller don’t use for what kind of solvent tank?

I can’t understand what your trying to say. You can click on the 3 dots below your comment you should see a pencil icon, If you click on that you can edit your comment.

6 Likes

one thing that saved me a huge headache when cleaning all my spd glassware was the magic of PH up and iso . mix those two together 1:1 even and over night all stains are gone brand new glassware without any damage or frustrated technicians . your welcome lol

28 Likes

Sounds like a neat trick
Please take your time to write down the tech so fools like me can understand :grinning:

1 Like

I found a neat trick cleaning fritted disc buchner funnels

Flip buchner upside down on a roastin pan or the like (like used for cooking turkeys)

Spray solvent of choice in drip tube of buchner funnel and let gravity drain down. Do this a couple times, and the frit should be clean as can be.

5 Likes

No heat on i asume on the roasting pan ?

1 Like

No heat
Room temp solvent of choice (I use 99% iso).

It cleaned my 2yr old used buchner, and 2 new ones that were fn green from my “grinch filtering” ethanol run.

Anyone know if acetone is safe on fritted discs?

5 Likes

just go to your local grow store and buy a bottle of Ph up the acidity eats through everything mix with a mother liquid so its not all ph up that stuff will each away at your skin so ware protective gloves and dilute it in some iso 1 part ph up to 1 part iso . in other words if u use 100ml of ph up use 100ml of iso to dilute it then have ur glass ware soak over night and it should be clean by morning .

7 Likes

I’ve used acetone on my fruited disc Büchners. It was literally the only way I was able to get them spotless. Then I ran them in the alconex.

Followed by washed with distilled water.

8 Likes