tri-clamp tightening and gasket leaks

Hi @WipedFilmGuy
Deep vacuum and triclamp parts never worked well for me, as you mentioned they leak and are mostly designed for positive pressure. I imagine the solid Teflon gasket was the way to go.Have you tried using kf flanges instead of the triclamp parts? In my opinion they are more suited to the high vacuum applications, they also don’t require monstrous torque to seal.Lubricants can be used on threads but it is important to understand how these effect torque spec, the proper considerations must be applied when using that method.

Lastly brass nuts used on a stainless steel bolt will not cause galling, only a stainless bolt and nut combo will result in that. A you will know they are galled when you need a cutoff wheel to zip the bolts in half to remove the clamp. We had an issue with a local supplyer a few weeks ago, their entire shipment of high pressure triclamps came with a bolt and nut combo that was too short to be used in conjunction with the clamp, we were on a tight schedule to start pressure testing parts and used some fastners we had in house… all stainless :man_facepalming: had to cut the dang things off , one for each use…In that case a lubricant like anitseize or the dry ptfe lube you suggested would work to prevent galling, but only SS on SS or like materials such as AL on AL.

2 Likes

Same here. I isolated everything with valves.

1 Like

Yes I agree…I was referring to the subject heading of tri-clamp which is your usual three piece stainless steel clamp with ss threads. The two piece clamp with a brass nut and ss bolt is usually for pressure and is required for ASME situations. In theory, there is not galling by definition, but you can ruin the nut by distorting the threads. I helium check connections very often, small and large units…they hold vacuum, but need a few tricks to make them work down in the very low vacuum operations. Now KF joints are made for vacuum, but the clamps are usually made of aluminum and are not very sturdy and can’t support much weight and do not handle pressure. Any connection needs very good support and proper piping fit ups…same with sanitary connections.

Whatever you do, don’t use the cheap knock offs. I’ve bought baskets of old fittings at auctions, and the only ones still usable were the name brand ones. I’ll second what others have said about over tightening. One other thing, if the piping isn’t well aligned, trying to force it into position by tightening the clamp will not end well.