Tri-clamp Fittings Ultimate Vacuum Rating | Open-Source Shortpath

That’s the part I was basing the condensers on! I’m trying to find 2" ones to get a full bore (~50mm) but 1.5" will have to do.

Maybe domed lid? U could put one of those triclamp stirrers in one of the ports.

1 Like

U know

Ive never seen anyone use linear motion to agitate an spd

1 Like

Pricing out an 10-11L design now using a 12"x6" jacketed base as the mantle pot, here’s some totals. I already have an ai cold trap and a huber 200C as my hot condenser, so they are omitted.

Still, column, main condenser, and secondary condenser: $1,300
Mantle recirculator: $1,200
High temperature tubing and qd fittings: $300
Vacuum gauge (mine just shit the bed): $500

So looking like $3,000 for an 11L still. Not too shabby. I’d estimate that from the ground up it would be maybe $4,000-$8,000 depending on your cold trap and accessory heaters/chillers. You can very easily get a cheaper heater, I never exceed 100C, and purchasing Ln2 is a better choice compared to an electric cold trap, though it depends on your process.

Now to keep working on my open-source discharge pump. Now that’s something I need to work on because those are expensive, but nice!

4 Likes

That’s either a typo or a Chinese ripoff, I know this product as “Tuf-steel” not tefsteel.

If outgassing from the polymer was your concern, these will outgas just as fast as regular PTFE gaskets. They’re just more durable and have a wider operating range.

4 Likes

Does anyone need copper triclamp gaskets?

I can make them on my mill.

2 Likes

I’m not so sure that copper gaskets would actually work on a triclamp flange. I think for those copper gaskets it takes a lot of force to actually clamp down on em.

ISO flanges are already used on turbo pumps so you know they’re rated for ultra high vacuum.

3 Likes

Is that a solid blank? I’m used to seeing raised face gaskets that are spiral wound and compressible

The copper flange gaskets are used for ultra-high-vacuum applications (a real term) where its 10^-12 torr. You have a flange with a sharp edge that you bolt into place and the copper compresses to make a near-perfect seal.

A bit over kill, probably won’t work, and each gasket costs $80 a pop and is disposable.

5 Likes

Yea solid blank. This pump came out of a physics lab where I guess they weren’t willing to fuck around with leaks so they welded that flange onto the pump instead of the normal iso flange this balzers pump comes with.

1 Like

That’s why I used the term. The ISO flanges I linked are rated to 1X10-8 Torr. That’s on the lower end of UHV.

Probably overkill though, triclamp is gonna work just fine.

wouldn’t the degredation depend on residence time on the heating element? Just pump the oil faster? idk im talking out of my ass here

Anyone have any copies of the iso vacuum fitting standards?

ISO-Flanges-and-Fittings-web.pdf (4.5 MB)

@pdxcanna

@Neutral have you considered any kind of agitation for the product in the flask?

1 Like

Triclamp leak more than the glass fittings. The other issue is glass to metal is practically banned in labs for the danger and risks.

Metal setups also have a very hard time staying hot. They end up being a huge heat sink in the room and you can’t see what’s happening.

I thought the guys that make the glass to metal pieces make stuff for NASA?

1 Like

Maybe just throw a wrap of Teflon tape around your triclamp?

What labs ban glass to metal?

1 Like

You can if there’s like a bellows or some sort of shock reducing part but that’s just contamination for short paths. Most of those seals also leak bc the edges of the triclamp are far from machines perfect. Even if fitting when heated leak bc with temps you want compression copper seals.

I have a monocow to kf from your homie in los Gatos lol

1 Like