Tri-clamp Fittings Ultimate Vacuum Rating | Open-Source Shortpath

Such as ?
I use tuff steel gaskets and have heated them in operation for over 12 hours at 300 C no issues what so ever

3 Likes

Tufsteel is the best gasket material you can get for triclamp, im not suggesting it’s inferior.

3 Likes

A quick test confirms that the 304 SS that is often off the shelf is no magnetic, so a simple magnetic stirrer should suffice.

Hahahahahahah wait what

In the tread “reflux under pressure “ I have shown how to setup a magnetic stirring bar under a cls

2 Likes

@Soxhlet told me to use this as a low temp heat transfer fluid for my jackets but it also has a high temp rating of 325°f idk what kind of pump you’d use.

@spdking sells glass spd stuff, ofc he hates stainless with a passion. He’s at the end probably gonna go well my spd can go × quick because it’s glass and you should buy it to try it.
… Elliot always on the sales

2 Likes

So I’ve seen dylanene posted by a few people, looked at an SDS and there isn’t a lot of info on there besides 50% water, 50% dissolved ionic solids. Basically, this is an ionic liquid, which seems like it would be extremely corrosive to a SS heater. Another issue is its density, it has a density of 1.25 g/mL, which is difficult on some recirculating pumps; an issue that also goes hand in hand with density is viscosity, I know ionic liquids can be less dense, but often aren’t.

Unfortunately, it seems like silicone oil is the best choice, a flash point of 325C, I believe my heater will be an open system, and silicone oils are a bit safer, though mineral oils can have flash points at 250C (the max temperature I’d ever go) I expect the need to heat several degrees past the desired mantle temp. While expensive, minimizing the path length can cut this cost, especially since it seems heat transfer is an important thing to control!

2 Likes

I hear ya
I have an open bath with silicon oil damn bath is 35 L so
Since I only need it to realy dry equipment Wich is basically drying the internals of the vessel I placed stainless steel bricks in the vessel to take the space of 20 liters
So I only need to fill her up with 15 liters of $ oil
It works and doesn’t change anything in the
System if I pull them out I can use the bath for
It s normal use

2 Likes

Have you used Tufsteel personally? I found it a temperamental bitch.

3 Likes

I bought a few and found them to be easier to manage than Teflon gaskets. I always had leaks with Teflon gaskets.

2 Likes

True that, the Teflon gaskets are even worse bitches with their cold forming

I personally use FKM/PTFE envelopes. I love the mixture of a springiness and PTFE wetted surfaces.

Have you used GYLON gaskets? Pretty sure @IlluminatedExtractor sells them. Form of PTFE gasket material that advertises resilience against cold forming and deformation.

7 Likes

Havent tried em, no. I used Buna most places on the system except where it gets real cold.

Never bought any enveloped gaskets just because I’ve never heard anybody else’s experience with them before.

I’ll usually have re torque the ptfe gaskets or the tufsteels 8nce they get cold. Not sure if that’s just my clamps relaxing cause if the cold or if it’s due to the gaskets shrinking.

9 Likes

Yes we prefer Gylon as our go-to gasket. It has excellent temperature ratings both hot and cold and is rated for multiple uses, unlike pure PTFE (single use), Gylon comes in carrying a -346°F thru 500°F temperature range.

Available through our website.
https://illuminatedextractors.com/laboratory-equipment/ols/products/gylon-bio-pro-triclamp-gaskets

6 Likes

gylon is PTFE?

2 Likes

It has PTFE in it but is not completely Teflon. The mixture enables the low temperature rating and multi-use characteristics. We have used them for many years now and will be the only gasket we supply on our units.

3 Likes

Better than tuff steel?

2 Likes

Oh yea… -346F and multi-use. Did I mention cheap?

5 Likes