transdermal efficacy

Does anyone have some detailed research on the ability to THC to pass into the blood stream transdermally and/or how different carrier oils effect the mobility?
Customers have been asking for patches - I dont want to make them because, not only is the equipment expensive, but I don’t really think THC will effectively pass into the blood stream to produce a medicinal effect, other than hitting local CB receptors on/in your skin.

1 Like

Some compounds like Nerolidol are described as natural dermal penetrants in scientific literature. Do a google search for ‘DMSO alternatives transdermal’.

2 Likes

appreciate the direction. Any studies on the actual efficacy? uptake, bioavailablity, etc. pertaining directly to THC/CBD/cannabinoids?

some stuff I juts found on another forum, havent gone through the links yet though

US Patent 6132762 - Transcutaneous application of marijuana (full - 2000)
Transcutaneous application of marijuana - US Patent 6132762 Full Text
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6132762/fulltext.html

US Patent 6113940 - Cannabinoid patch and method for cannabis transdermal delivery (full – 2000) Cannabinoid patch and method for cannabis transdermal delivery - US Patent 6113940 Full Text
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6113940/fulltext.html

US Patent 6328992 - Cannabinoid patch and method for cannabis transdermal delivery (full - 2001) Cannabinoid patch and method for cannabis transdermal delivery - US Patent 6328992 Full Text
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6328992/fulltext.html

Cannabidiol-transdermal delivery and anti-inflammatory effect in a murine model. (abst - 2003) Cannabidiol-transdermal delivery and anti-… [J Control Release. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

In vitro/in vivo correlation studies for transdermal delta 8-THC development.
(abst – 2004) In vitro/in vivo correlation studies for transde… [J Pharm Sci. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

Human skin permeation of Delta8-tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabidiol and cannabinol. (abst - 2004) Human skin permeation of Delta8-tetrahydro… [J Pharm Pharmacol. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

Enhancement of transdermal fentanyl and buprenorphine antinociception by transdermal delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol. (abst - 2005) Enhancement of transdermal fentanyl and bupr… [Eur J Pharmacol. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabidiol bioavailability after nasal and transdermal application: effect of permeation enhancers.
(abst - 2010) Cannabidiol bioavailability after nasal a… [Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

US Patent Application 20110052694 - USE OF CANNABIDIOL PRODRUGS IN TOPICAL AND TRANSDERMAL ADMINISTRATION WITH MICRONEEDLES (full – 2011) USE OF CANNABIDIOL PRODRUGS IN TOPICAL AND TRANSDERMAL ADMINISTRATION WITH MICRONEEDLES - US Patent Application 20110052694 Full Text
http://www.patentstorm.us/applications/20110052694/fulltext.html

Pot patch for your pooch developed in Seattle lab (news – 2011)
http://www.king5.com/news/local/A-pot-patch-for-your-pooch-126363118.html

4 Likes

I can tell you from personal experience that DMSO works to get it into the bloodstream. I’ve also been making a 10mg/drop CBD/DMSO mix. Now I’ll have to try nerolidol.

2 Likes

Just a quick Google search. … I wouldn’t use it in any of my formulations!

2 Likes

Yeah it’s one of those things you need to be aware of the material you’re using and how you use it. It’s weird, there are people out there that drink shots of it daily. I’m pretty sure according to the FDA it’s not to be sold for human consumption or topical use. It is commonly used in pharma testing to deliver drugs to mice instead of IV. I’ve mostly just used it for personal curiosity.

Dont mix dmso and cyanide and you should be okay.

Hire a chemist and not a clandestine cannabis “chemist”. Do it in a food grade lab and you should be cool.

It is a “super solvent” which means it will solubilize most things. Apply only to clean, disinfected skin surfaces and buy from a reputable source. Physicians have used this chemical for years and there are some decent quack medical doctors who use alot of this stuff snd write books on it etc so look out for that.

Also I believe it reacts with silica gel DE lol kinda violently from my memory.

1 Like

Dmso formulations have unpleasent side effects. Nasty taste in mouth, also nausea. It is also banned in alot of state programs. Best to avoid. Good transdermal formulations exist but are rare, most (all?) of the patches on the market are crudely made. They are just glorified band-aid tape with extract and medium chain length oil dabed on them.

1 Like

In the case of DMSO to deliver product the achilles heal with the approach is the stability of medicine in question. D9 THC is subject to very fast breakdown and in an unpredictable way depending on environment. Any given patch dosed with D9 THC would ultimately transfer into the blood the breakdown components and worse in unpredictable ways. DMSO was used on the farm for swollen joints on livestock and some folks used it on themselves too but it never got popular enough to really matter back as a kid.

I always looked at DMSO sort of like dog food - it may be ok to eat but we only really used it on animals when I was a kid and the side effects from not wearing gloves (like a garlic taste) was a bit too wierd I think for most to consider using on themselves. I think DMSO used by licensed research facilities is mostly used to torture little furry things with our drug ideas so they can see if it kills or how bad it hurts them because the stuff will so easily bypass natural defenses and get the research ideas directly into the little critters to see how “bad” bad can be.

4 Likes

NATURAL POLYMERS: CARRIERS FOR TRANSDERMAL DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM | Semantic Scholar “NATURAL POLYMERS: CARRIERS FOR TRANSDERMAL DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM”

3 Likes

Nerolidol can be swapped for DMSO.

1 Like

I made some lotion for my father out of full spectrum cbd oil that was pretty high in THC. One of the components I used in it was emu oil. I got a bit stoned when I tested a small amount of it on my hands. I don’t smoke though so I’m sensitive to THC. I would look into testing out emu oil though. The only drawback is it is kind of pricey.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301556080_Emu_Oil_Based_Nano-Gel_for_Transdermal_Delivery_of_Curcumin_to_Treat_Chronic_Inflammatory_Diseases

3 Likes

Back when I was big into bodybuilding and cooking up my own gear we would use carbopol gels and Isopropyl Myristate for transdermal testosterone suspensions

5 Likes

Interesting… Can you shed a bit more light? Would it work dilute in a lotion or gel or something of the like? Or just in a concentrated solution?

1 Like

We dosed testosterone at 10mg/ml with our transdermals

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cDovL2Nhbm5haW5zaWRlci5saWJzeW4uY29tL3Jzcw&episode=MTZjMWI1YWEyODczNDY0NTkzYzhjN2VlMmJmNzg2ZTA

I know this is an old post but was searching transdermal a couple days ago and then listened to this podcast today and thought about if nerolidol could be used for nanoencapsulating and rapid absorption.

1 Like