Too much CFM during short path

Hello Everyone,

I recently got a Lab Society 5L full bore set up. I have a Welch 8CFM, and a BVV 21.5 CFM. Is it anyone’s opinion that using the BVV 21.5 CFM pump would be too much for a 5 L shortpath? Just curious if anyone has had any bad experiences using a pump with too much CFM on a smaller shortpath? I was planning on using the welch as a roughing pump and the BVV for my main body. Let me know your opinions please and thanks!

Best regards,

No you should have at least 4cfm per liter of your flask. Ive ran dual e30s on a 5 and dual alcatels on a 2l. Yojll be fine, get a roughing pump and use the biggest cfm pump you can

2 Likes

Perfect. That’s what I figured, but I thought I would ask anyway.
Thanks again!

That duo seal will get soaked quick, id get a different roughing pump or use the other 8cfm one. I use a sogevac and its the best roughing pump ive ever used, and have really good and cold cold traps.

Sorry for the confusion. They are rotary vane pumps. I have the Welch CRVpro 8 and the BVV 21.5 CFM. I was thinking I may run with the Welch 8 CFM as the roughing and the BVV as the main.

Ya that would be my suggestion if you dont want to get another roughing pump. The crv will work just fine, and be easy to flush every few runs

A single e30 on my 5L rips through vac. Can pull sub 100 on first pass and sub 50 on 2nd

1 Like

I’m also using a e30 on my 5l and it’s ripping down sub 100 micron 1st pass as well

I was using a AI 21 cfm vac pump on a Lab Society Full bore and pulling down really deep. My buddy who’s a consultant was there and he was shocked how low we were pulling main fractions. Definitely use the 21 cfm

1 Like