Tobacco mosiac virus

Anyone have any experience w/ TMV?

Pretty confident I got it in a few of my cultivars, and possibly some other virus that’s making leaves get taco-y.

These are in to-till beds, is my soil no good now?

1 Like

Actually the first one wasn’t tobacco mosaic virus and the second was tomato mosaic virus

2 Likes

great, i guess i need to trash 49 cu yd of living soil… :rofl:

1 Like

I would say not.
Keep that shot moist, fucking grow food, over winter potatoes or something, and it will fix itself
If it’s living soil, that shit will fix itself, with the microbes

2 Likes

It’s probably not tobacco mosaic virus.

Hop latent viroid (HLVd) is a single-stranded, circular infectious RNA and is currently in the clone stream. It is regularly tested for with larger facilities.

3 Likes

Interesting

1 Like

08.pdf (442.7 KB)

Amend it with licorice.

2 Likes

Are there particular symptoms that you’re seeing which are leading you to believe it’s not TMV? TMV is a positive-strand RNA plant virus as well and since Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Cucumber Mosaic Virus, Lettuce Chlorosis Virus, Alphalpha Mosaic Virus, Arabis Mosaic Virus, Beet Curly Top Virus, Cannabis Cryptic Virus, Hemp Streak Virus, Candidatus Trifoli, Fusarium, Pythium, Xanthomonas, Pseudomonas, Macrophomina, Rhizoctonia, and Helminthosporium are all pathogens which have been documented in cannabis (many of which exhibit overlapping symptoms), there’s really no way to be sure in the absence of analytical analysis.

1 Like

There are lots of viroids, but HPLV is the big one that gets tested for with my customers. Frankly, I don’t know if it is specific to HPLV or if it is just a viroid test.

At the end of the day, if it looks or acts funky, test it.

1 Like

Many viruses (such as TMV) are systemic and are transported as RNA or virion complexes through the phloem and are easily transmitted via surface-contact of surrounding plants, contaminated tools and cloning, so merely expecting the soil to fix the problem on it’s own is a futile approach.

2 Likes

commercialclonessuckballs.jpg

1 Like

You know they are elite before they are commercial. Just look at Apple Fritter or Gorilla Glue.

@cloner has a great business model and selection and his stuff has been clean. I recommend his services.

1 Like

Yeah, I just hate clones in general. Nothing elite about them in my opinion. Clones are responsible for the mass infiltration of pathogens that we see in the community and there’s nothing about ‘elite’ clones that can’t be found in seed format from the progeny.

2 Likes

Clones have their place. It has taken cannabis 50 years of hybrid selection to morph the species and create modern strains what took corn hundreds of years only through seed selection.

3 Likes

Thankfully they don’t have a place in my garden, but in general I completely disagree. Not a good comparison, as corn is not a chemotaxonomically diverse genus like cannabis is. Likewise, cloning has nothing to do with the exponential increase in cannabinoid concentrations that has arisen within the past 50 years, as clones are merely the progeny of a lineage line which already exists. The progression is attributed to profound advancements in cultivation such as advanced lighting, spectrum manipulation, nutrient and biostimulant applications and corresponding enhancement of reccessive traits expressed within the resultant genetics.

2 Likes

And someone has already picked a modern keeper to breed with for you instead of popping 10 seeds to find the best one from your 1997 pack of Deep Chunk.

Are you saying without lights and biostimulants, the genetics would revert back to their low THC/TAC state? The logic doesn’t follow here.

Thankfully humans are more than capable of doing our own selections, which allows the possibility for discovering even better selections than what someone else perceives to be “elite”. Nonetheless, the existence of a clone from a line that already exists does nothing to enhance cannabinoid synthesis that is exhibited from that line’s progeny.

No, that’s not what I’m saying. We’re not discussing cannabinoid synthesis regression - we’re discussing cannabinoid synthesis progression. Cannabis phylogenesis does not advance so profoundly in the absence of cultivation/environmental advancements - hence why it’s existed for thousands of years and only recently progressed to such a notable degree. Merely combining genetics in the absence of said advancements has limited utility, as the cannabinoid biosynthetic pathway relies heavily on optimal environmental influence in order to enhance the genetic traits passed on to the progeny. The existence or non-existence of clones is irrespective of such an enhancement.

The screenshot of searching for Tmv said that it doesn’t do well in the soil and in moist conditions it lasts less time than dry conditions.
That’s what I was saying
And living organic soil, as opposed to bottle-fed plants, is the living soil has microbes that fix shit, faculties anaerobes.

I understand what you’re saying however, since TMV and many other viruses are systemic and are transported through the phloem and easily transmitted via surface-contact of surrounding plants, contaminated tools and cloning,… unless you’re effectively targeting [endogenous] viral transcripts via a mechanistic approach such as RNA suppression… then merely eliminating the viral pathogen from the soil will do little to salvage the health of the plants.