Tobacco and Ethanol

I searched for tobacco and ethanol and could not find my answer. I have a few days to research, so my weekend is planned. Any help is appreciated outside of my research.

We are going to run some tobacco through our extraction equipment. There is a thorough cleaning going to happen before and after. I need help with potential contaminants to my ethanol. I am willing to burn (literally and figuratively) all the ethanol needed to make this short run, as well as the cleaning ethanol. Is this necessary?

I have never looked into tobacco and am as green as can be. This was tossed on my plate yesterday afternoon and I haven’t found any good resources. Before I google search and find out I am gonna get cancer and die from even handling the tobacco, does anyone have a good website that “I can research,” so as not to bog you guys down with a pretty irrelevant topic here?

1 Like

Do you know WHY you’re doing this?

Are you after nicotine?

Ask the all knowing one how that’s done.

Then go look it up on redit…

4 Likes

Here’s a tobacco extraction process :man_shrugging:

Its not for nicotine, but due to an NDA, thats about as much as I can say. Reddit, I am banned and will have to wait until I get home and use my VPN. Something about gender identity, gender equality and me telling them to call me sir if they want me to call them the pronoun they wanted to be called, but I digress.

3 Likes

Is your target ethanol soluble ma’am?

Nicotine is…and it’s pretty damn toxic

How much help you expect to get if you’re not able to state the goal?!?

You don’t need to login to READ redit…

6 Likes

It is. And thank you @raghanded. That at least has me on a path.

I don’t know how to explain an NDA any better than, I cant say and I appreciate the direction, not the actual research. I have to do it, but I wasnt prepared. My weekend is ruined, but any help is appreciated more than you guys know.

I fully understand how Reddit works, but when you are IP banned, you are IP banned.

1 Like

Your gaskets and equipment may get ruined, too. Just watch out for leaching and make sure to protect everyone involved. Nicotine is one of the most deadly poisons on the face of the planet. Be terrible to contaminate cannabis with nicotene.

4 Likes

Gaskets I didnt even think of. It’s C1D1 and will have the fans cranked up.

Checklist is getting longer, but I can toss all the gaskets and replace with new. Thank you @Akoyeh.

2 Likes

7y

If starting with tobacco, you can extract the nicotine from it with alcohol (ethanol). So obtain some pure alcohol. Everclear is more than 90% alcohol apparently. Or buy some cheap crappy vodka and distill the alcohol out of it.

Then chuck all the tobacco in a single necked round bottom flask, with enough alcohol to completely cover it. Stick a condenser on top, and reflux it for several hours. While it is still hot, filter the liquid to remove the solids. Then evaporate the alcohol away from the filtrate, or distill it off so that you can collect and re-use the alcohol.

What you will be left with is a crude brown syrupy gunk, possibly with some crystalline solids if you are lucky. This will be fairly concentrated nicotine. It won’t be pure nicotine though, since there are other alcohol soluble components in tobacco. But it would certainly be concentrated enough to use as poison.

1 Like

Why do you imagine you have to explain NDA?

I asked if your target was ethanol soluble.

I pointed out that “under NDA” was going to limit the utility of the advice.

Assuming your target IS ethanol soluble, you’re going to need to separate it from nicotine. So you’ll want to know as much about the chemical properties of both nicotine and your target.

Scholar.Google.com

…there you go ma’am

7 Likes

I assume you are going to keep poking the bear to get a rise? I asked for help, not to be called names. Thank you for the help that you are somehow trying to give, in spite of your true nature. If you don’t want to help, don’t. If you do, thank you.

I am aware of what I asked and assumed I would not get much help. So far, the one article had many referenced articles that are turning out to be very helpful. So, once again, thank you all for helping. Any other thoughts are appreciated. I am on a time crunch and fairly stressed. I am leaning on scrapping the whole idea, due to the liability and potential added costs from potential future repairs and consumables. I will be reading here and the referenced articles to further my knowledge and hopefully pass it on in the future to someone else that may have a similar question in the future.

Where did someone call you a name?

2 Likes

This is the weirdest thread I’ve seen yet.

8 Likes

The little dig…the word ma’am. How is this helpful to the conversation?

If you got your ass IP banned over gender pronouns, you may well deserve the ribbing.

As I have no data on that, observing how you respond to repeated (and therefore obviously deliberate) refusal to use your preferred pronoun IS about figuring if you’re helpworthy.

If you’re a Google scholar user, and knew of NCBI and pubchem, then you’re right, I’m no help at all….as is clearly my nature.

You did ask for “other websites” right?

6 Likes

Yep. You did…

Here’s another Miss; http://www.chemspider.com/

Because you asked so damn nicely…

5 Likes

Which is where Google scholar an NCBI come in really useful

Not only can you access the papers that the author of your “useful article” leveraged, but you can see who has stood on their shoulders.

So you’re offended by the use of the wrong pronoun? But we shouldn’t hold that against you because you’d never refuse to use the requested pronoun?

Just trying to gauge who I’m trying to help…

Edit:

Relevant points:

The estimated lower dose limit for fatal outcomes is 500–1,000 mg of ingested nicotine for an adult (6.5–13 mg/kg).

Which should be difficult to achieve unless you bathe in the tincture.

Nicotine constitutes approximately 0.6–3.0% of the dry weight of tobacco.

Having that data for your target of choice seems like a decent starting point…

2 Likes

You may have just sealed the deal. My comfort level was minimal and has almost gone to zero. I’ll keep reading, but I am certain the more I read, the closer to zero I will get.

Reading all of this doesn’t make me wanna roll this tobacco up and smoke it either.

2 Likes

You will die if you get crude on you. Even droplets.

5 Likes

Nicotine is very toxic with high absorption through the skin. I don’t know if it’s an urban myth but I remember a story about a worker sitting down on a 20 liter pail of nicotine and traces of the liquid went through his pants, through the skin, and that was the end of him.

2 Likes