To Brine or Not to Brine

I am having difficulty rationalizing using Brine water instead of plain RO water in remediation of pesticides. It would seem that the pesticides with even slight solubility in water would migrate more freely to RO without the added salt. Does anyone have a link to the Akron article that reviews the brine technique?
Can the pH 4, pH9, and pH6 washes be done without salt???
Thoughts???

Has anyone tried pH4, 9, 6 washes with RO instead of brine?

I’m going to try it out. I’ve been thinking about the same thing and after the next run i want to take a sample to try. I just need to get some heptane first.

1 Like

me too

Don’t know if you’ve seen this in the pest remidiation thread.

Yes. Thank you. He says he RO with no saline. Does not elaborate at all. I am going to respond to his tread.I am feeling that the use of salt might actually interfere in the removal of slightly water soluble materials such as Myclo. I am doing side by side tests now where one batch is done with RO and one is done with brine. I am testing before washing, after pH4, after pH9, and after pH6 both RO only and brine. Stay tuned.

4 Likes

Sweet. I’m very much looking forward to the results. I’ll chime in once I’ve done my own tests as well.

1 Like

@Renchi Hey, so I used pentane to redissolve distillate (heptane is probably more ideal though) did the 4, 9 and 6 PH washes with plain RO water followed by chromatography column loaded with Magsil-PR. Was able to remove all the myclo just not sure which technique is doing the removal or if both are necessary?

3 Likes

Did you test to see if it came out in the wash or the magsil colu,n?

1 Like

@G710 i think @garhundel meant to ask you the above question. I’m going to try all three methods side by side, wash, mag sil, both combined and get tested once i get a run in. Don’t know what time frame that will be. Lots of things happening atm.

All of these variables have been tested multiple times.

Water or saline alone is not enough to fully remove myclo.

MagSil alone will remove myclo, but it takes a whole bunch of it if you don’t degum.

The reason we use salt is to reduce the miscibility of the two phases, which speeds up the amount of time it takes for.them to separate, and reduces the emulsion layer.

7 Likes

@Future And if you degum? How much less magsil is needed? Also, must a column be used? A traditional buchner won’t work?

Edit: i was wondering if that webinar you posted about remidiation could be shared here since those of us who attended have access to it still.

2 Likes

As Future mentioned, it’s about breaking the emulsion layer. Typically this is worse when doing the high pH wash. I have done multiple washes with distilled water, retained the emulsion after letting it settle for a while, and then done a salty final wash to break the emulsion as needed. Not sure if the salt significantly effects the ability to pull out water soluble junk or not. I have only used this for preparation of distillate. In my limited experience it hasn’t helped much with improving the quality of distillate, but it did help me clean up some heads fractions I had set aside. I redistilled them after some washing and they came out looking OK. There was still some non-THC shit in there, but it turned red “trash” into gold distillate. Not bad, not bad.

2 Likes

The emulsion layer has a lot of lipids and phospholipids that need to be eaten to become hydratable.

They don’t need to be hydrolyzed if they can become ionized. Currently, I have seen no evidence that enzymatic degradation of phospholipids is superior to acid degumming in cannabis resin.

1 Like

purely for breaking the emulsion. youre going to hold water, fats, cannabinoids, and alkane in the emulsion and it wont be efficient.

1 Like

So how much salt to make a proper saline?

Good question.

I recall 5M NaCl as being fairly easy to achieve & a staple in biochemistry labs

Not quite saturated, but close enough for most purposes.