Tips on extracting all the from Biomass

I recently ran some R&D on and I got my yield results on dry trim that had a starting percentage of %12.909 and my spent material ended up at %4.938. I soaked my material for 15-20 minutes and did approximately 7 washes on the material. Any tips?

I mean. Explain to us. Are you washing hash for ice water hash, or is this ethanol extraction, or wtf is it?

You using cat urine as your solvent?

5 Likes

Use butane if you want the 12% yield lol

2 Likes

You should be performing 1 premium wash and 1 crude wash no matter what solvent in my opinion.

$1500 and I’ll come to Sacramento and help you dial in whatever you’re trying to do for the day

4 Likes

That’s only used as a reactant for 1 D8 conversion!

They haven’t caught on yet?

5 Likes

ice water hash.

I’m a noob, but I thought this video was excellent

4 Likes

What type of ice, how are you agitating? What size vessel? What bag microns?

Its store bought square, purified ice. I’m agitating in a 20gal vessel with a paddle. microns 25,73,160,190,220

1 Like

at least you’re looking at the problem correctly.

unfortunately “knocking trichomes off” isn’t the most efficient way of skinning this cat, so you’re gonna leave some behind.

especially if you want what you do remove to be any good.

2 Likes

Tbh 4.9% isn’t that bad if thats the squish final yield.

Even if thats the dry hash yield, you cant expect great results from dry trim material to bubble hash.

Try a 1 or 2% yield, then you have a right to be a little mad lol.

2 Likes

nope. OP is looking at the problem correctly and is following the cannabinoids not the cadabinoids:

potency of starting material vs potency of “spent” material.

which is 60% extraction efficiency. no clue what good/great/horrible efficiency is using this methodology.

2 Likes

I mean, what I post holds true. I have sites I oversee washing material daily.

Dry trim is sometimes the hardest to get right. Outdoor dry trim, good luck ever getting a higher yeild without a very very vigorous agitation. And even then theres a shit load of stuff thats not heads getting seperated then adding to your yeild.

Indoor or dep dry trim that is stored properly, can sometimes ‘milk’ real good returns.

Doing a batch of Wonderbrett Solventless for their Rosin edible line.
We’re seeing crazy returns on the washes for the Wonderbrett biomass. Dry trim, we’re getting over 10% dry hash consistently on batches.

Its all abt input quality for Solventless. The heads arent always properly sized or formed to seperate.

But a solvent extraction definitely strips those heads the water extraction cant ‘fit’ through the micron bags.

2 Likes

sure.

AND OP said nothing about 4.9% yield

1 Like

Got it, I see that now. :roll_eyes:

Either OP is a noob, or OP is a noob. The way he stated this question.

Did OP dry the material post extraction and run a potency test on it?

Ice water extractions always leave product left on the spent material.

The squishing process itself also leaves residuals on the bags/waste thats nearly impossible to recover without using a carrier oil or solvent to dissolve and collect.

If youre starting with 12.9% material, left with 4.9, you are getting that 60ish% extraction efficiency.

Thats not bad for dry trim AT ALL. lol.

Not sure what OP is expecting to come from this situation.

Use ethanol or hydrocarbons if you want to get it all, otherwise you will always leave cannabinoids on the waste material. Moreso if its dry, aged and outdoor biomass.

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

thank you!

that was the piece I was missing. (expected extraction efficiency for this method).

that would be my interpretation, and it seems like the most correct way to evaluate the efficiency of ANY extraction. In this case it is looking at ONLY the initial wash efficiency. which as you’ve stated isn’t the entire picture.

2 Likes

My bad. I spend my time between projects on here. Have to revise alot often lol.

I mean you see anywhere from 30% efficiency to 80% or sometimes 90% efficiency.

Depends on material quality, and operatory experience. And equipment quality too.

1 Like

WOW…so presumably tracking extraction efficiency here is even MORE important (as far as informing one which biomass/strains/grower to use)

2 Likes

Dude I cant tell you how many times I’ve seen investor/owners that come from other commercial industries not at all understand how extraction yield works.

Its even WORSE when it involves Solventless. Because ALOT of Solventless yeild doesnt really make sense, its worst when your low efficiency bubble wash yeilds hash that squishes really low quality and yeilds of rosin :sweat:.

Seen alot of people loose a ton of $ on this side of the mfg business because of things like this.

Didnt do good test washes/squishes, and then they agree to a huge toll or purchase agreement for the FF…

4 Likes