Tinctures

Nice catch LOL I fixed it for you haha

2 Likes

I’m transitioning to more acceptable and tolerant CBD forms LOL

6 Likes

If you’re at the stage of fingering out how to make a solid MCT tincture then don’t worry about making it water soluble. Cool trick and lots of use/potential but nail down the classics first.

Try out a couple recipes. Your 55% almost makes easy math so take 4 grams and then make 8 total bottles of tincture. 4 can be made with CBD & MCT only and the other 4 can be made with a touch of ethanol, your CBD and MCT and water. Keeping the CBD dissolved is the trick and using a little MCT to keep it fluid helps (you see how hard it is to work with cold).

I always like you use a little “insurance” when using anything with water. Gum arabic is a great, easy emulsifier if you go that route. It’s the same thing I told my ex-wife - you just have to play with it and figure it out

I’m trying to finger it out. Have done some small batches and looking at mixing 1:1 with MCT in a water bath while mixing ( after I warm up CBD and MCT with a little foreplay)

1 Like

1:1 like MCT:Water or 1:1 MCT:CBD?

Doing 1:1 MCT:CBD…

That would be great to help it be more fluid but if you’re making an oil based tincture it will be way, way more MCT : CBD in order to keep your 500mg / 60ml (I think that’s what you proposed originally?)

1 Like

I’m just using 1:1 to make it easier to work with and then will dilute in smaller batches for desired concentrations.

1 Like

I’d suggest 2:1 for your working “oil”.

How are you getting your cannabinoids?

If you’re coming out of etoh, I recommend adding the MCT in your rotovap as a transfer solvent

Best method for mixing?

How about most amusing?

15gal MCT in a beer keg, CBD to taste, seal keg and place on side, kick back and forth across lab for 20min.

More dangerous?
Stand on keg and “barrel roll” it around the lab for 20min. Don’t fall and smack your head on the cement.

More efficient?

Place keg on upside down harbor freight furniture dolly. Place front wheel of stationary bicycle against keg. Pedal gently for 20min.

Actual production method?

4” stainless paint mixer on a cordless drill…

9 Likes

Hot plate and stir bar!!!

I use a 10L media bottle, cbd isolate, and mct oil.

Stir bars are your best friend in this industry! Just use the stir bar and before it gets tested give the bottle some manual agitation by shaking the damn thing.

2 Likes

@cyclopath, oh the memories! Bahaha. Having seen and participated in three of the four aforementioned methods of homogenization, I can attest to their validity. State testing was passed using all four methods. My vote is for the drill and mixer, personally. Much less liability involved, despite the others certainly being more fun.

4 Likes

CO2 extracted. Thanks for the info and the laughs!

Demonstration of the X1740/DK40 Inline Homogenizer… Another method for processing tinctures

https://catscientific.com/the-cat-x1740-dk40-inline-benchtop-homogenizer/

7 Likes

T-free and adding CBG

1 Like

Any suggestions for a flavor additive? I tried some agave sweetener and it’s nasty lol

I’ve used loranne (sp) food flavorings before 8n the bakery isle.

What flavor did you get best review on?

A tiny bit of stevia goes a long way. You can purchase varying levels of sweetness based on Rebaudioside A(Reb-A)/ Rebaudioside D(Reb-B) content, I migh be missing a few other variants of the chemical. Best of luck.

1 Like

apex flavors oil soluble flavoring