Timer on a pump (vfd): 45 sec rinse

:joy::joy: so true though

3 Likes

The orange one is a double-pole single throw stationary contact switch with opposite action. In one position one pole is open and the other pole is closed and when it is switched the open pole closes and the closed pole opens.

The white switch is probably a latching switch with the same function as above and the middle terminals are for the pilot light

You can test the white one to see if it latches with a meter on continuity.

3 Likes

Thanks all!!!

We haz joy!!

7 Likes

on to Bigger, better, more auto-magic?

because this control scheme only just barely worked, and now the fuges are 3x bigger and the pumps are 5x faster.

at least they let me get some prototyping done before throwing more random gear at me :wink:

I know u can get powered valves. I was considering using smart plugs with a powered valve to control remotely lol

the Hitachi I’m looking at don’t seem to have built in timer functionality. nor do the Dura CS3. both have the programable input terminals I need to implement the control scheme used above (shown again below).

@MathewScott, @Lincoln20XX, @SidViscous, @greenbuggy; and/or anyone else that might have an opinion to share…

I need a half dozen 7.5HP drives (with which to play this game).
Galco says if I want ABB, they might ship in November…

they do have (almost enough) Hitachi WJ200 series drives in stock. the fine manual suggests they have the functionality I need (at least 3 programmable terminals).

should I bite?
other suggestions?!?

@cyclopath I like ABB drives but I have not at all been impressed with their customer service or lead times, and heaven help you if you want braking resistors for those units.

Hitachi isn’t bad, I’d also look into Fuji and yaskawa

Another option might be to see what the price difference is to buy 10hp drives and set them up for driving a 7.5 HP motor

1 Like

AD has 26 GS23-47P5 in stock. Ship same day if you order before 6pm EST I believe. Two day shipping.

I much prefer the AD GS series to the Teco units I’ve been fighting with the past while.

Edit:

What KIND of output terminals do you need? Analog Current? Analog Voltage? Digital DC out? Relay? Mix of all?

The GS unit I linked has 2x analog, 2x 48V DC, 1x relay it looks like.

Thank you!

I need 3 programable input terminals (7 seems standard these days).

goal is to implement push button speed/time on the pump. with three variants.

that appears to be the 400V version. the 200V version says it is being discontinued, which doesn’t seem like a great place to start.

I thought you needed 460V. My bad.

ACNND-27P5 looks like it might do the trick.

If your drive of choice doesn’t have the desired timer functionality, a timer relay would likely get you to where you want to go. Buy spares. It sucks when they suddenly don’t timer anymore.

2 Likes

Totally my fault. [moved to correct thread]

Pumps and (currently) all my 3-phase electrickery is 220.

If I dig in to replacing the controllers on the 1200mm fuges THEN I might need 480V VFD.

edit: looks like the ACNND-27P5 only has two input terminals?

I believe I need three (I might could be wrong…). I haven’t looked at the manual yet.

1 Like

1 Like

Thank you!!

I was looking at the analog inputs.

1 Like

A very fast scan of the manual suggests that the functionality you’re looking for is not necessarily natively supported. I would go with timer relays myself.

2 Likes

How about an appropriate (intrinsically safe?) “float switch”?

This is looking like all KINDS of learning opportunities :heart_eyes:

1 Like

This has been one of the more difficult safety features to figure out. It’s a little easier when doing soaks because you can incorporate an pneumatic float switch to cut air to the feed pump, but harder to manage with spinning extraction. We have done ultrasonic, volumetric and timed measurements for filling the centrifuge. Timed seems work best for safety, but can mess with your solvent/biomass ratio if your feed pump is underperforming for some reason like wet air lines or a maxed out compressor.

2 Likes

For whatever it’s worth - I’m running two 3.7kw WJ200s and Hitachi customer support was awesome getting everything programmed. YMMV.

Radar level transmitter?

https://www.apgsensors.com/radar-level-transmitters/explosion-proof-pulse-radar-true-echo

1 Like

I have a ton of Emerson SK 7.5hp drives I’ve been uninstalling from our CRAC units if you want them. We don’t need VFDs, just one more thing to break. I’ll make you a sweet deal

Edit: I didn’t read, these are 460v units. IMO, I love Yaskawa drives and Lenze for simple stuff like this. For higher featured stuff the Siemens G120s are badass but pretty $$$. ABB drives are solid

2 Likes

Dude! I’ve been buying used motors off auctions. Groups of VFDs, motor starts, motors, and even motors attached to pumps. Sure I have to refurb them - and some of them are complete junk.

But damn - the last one I got for $1800 - and I got 22 vacuum pumps, 2 motor starts, 2 5hp motors, a cart filling robot, a bunch of random fittings, a sasquatch rosin press, and four exhaust fans.

That’s where my focus has been. These leads time are stupid. The prices are double stupid. I’d rather spend two days fixing something than wait 8 weeks for it to be delivered and pay through the nose.

There’s like 40 listed on bidspotter right now.

5 Likes