Timer on a pump (vfd): 45 sec rinse

These cost a bit more but the triclamp is convenient. The BSPP threads are less so.

1 Like

Certainly not on anything that’s actually involved in production.

FM has some words to say on the topic.

FMDS0501 (1).pdf (748.4 KB)

Today’s number one goal it to implement this control scheme. Or at least discover that I need a different flavor of switch than I’ve got on hand, and get that sorted.

After reading one of Lincoln20XX’s posts and referencing the manual, it looks like we can use 3 external button switches, a float switch, and a timer relay to allow current to flow from the auxiliary voltage output (24V) to different I/O terminals. This would allow the operator to press 3 different buttons corresponding to 3 unique pumping speeds and durations.

From looking at the layout of the terminals in the manual, if we give voltage to terminal 12 and 14, we will start the pump at speed 1, which can be programmed. If we give voltage to 12 and 15 we will pump at speed 2. If we give voltage to 12, 14, and 15 we will pump at speed 3. When we combine this with the relay timer we should be able to pump at the desired speed and time.

Here’s a screenshot of the connections for the standard macro and a description on how to use terminals 14 and 15 below that:

which is what I was hoping/expecting to find…because I’ve got a set of three fuges running a fairly similar control scheme (not an ABB, but I’ve spent the last 6 months in the manual, and I’ve almost wrapped my head around it).

It’s so nice to have depth in a team.

edit: also really helps to have access to the hive mind…this place still rocks!!

2 Likes

my reading of the ABB manual suggests I can set timers to go off every Monday at 4am, but not to run for discrete times upon trigger (which doesn’t make sense). I admit I haven’t made it all the way through, and was reading it on my phone. it would be great if I could program the run times on the VFD rather that implemeting externally.

open to correct on that one.

actually hoping I’m wrong…

We use a separate PLC that uses ladder logic programming. Our extraction cycles are really simple. Load the bag. Press the button. Unload the bag. All of the pumping and spin cycles are pre-programmed with the fill time, dry time and recirculate time all able to be changed on the HMI by the operator

1 Like

which is absolutely the right way of doing it…

until you get to machines that can handle the loading and unloading on their own.

3 Likes

We’re working on that. There won’t be any bags once that happens. Super sacks in/oil out

2 Likes

It appears that you are correct.

It does make a little sense to me - monday to friday scheduling is good for simple HVAC type stuff. More complicated logic is usually handled by a standalone PLC. I’m sure the higher spec ABB ones have the timer functionality, but pull out your wallet.

3 Likes

Check out booster 3622 and booster time function 3623. Install a momentary push button to the desired DI and set the input and set the time. Maybe your remote start switch is already connected to a DI and you can just program it to that one if you don’t use the pump for anything else. You will have to set 3601 ACTIVE. Page 230 of the manual. Disclaimer: I have never worked with this drive so you will have to try it and see. Let me know if it works.

2 Likes

Our company specialize in producing ss triclamp fittings & valves and gaskets. Any inquiry just DM us.

Honestly, I’m sure we can sort out a method to do this itb with that drive but by the time you’ve got it sorted out you could have wired a single shot relay timer and momentary switch up to the run jumper like 15 times over. And thats only like $40 in parts.

2 Likes

pretty sure I saw 3 timer relays in the bosses hot little hands last night…

this wee box seems like it might have all the required parts…

hoping somebody can clue me into the meanings of the gylphs on the switches.

No, not translate the Chinese labels on the outside…I’m of the opinion that the glyphs on the switches themselves are relevant…I just have no clue what they’re trying to tell me.

the orange switches are all clearly Toggle switches (the E-stop, Start, and Power). I’m unclear what the white ones are.

2 Likes

Attaboy lol

1 Like

looks like they be latching…not sure that’s what I need.

guess we’ll find out the old fashioned way…

1 Like

I mean technically as long as your operator remembers to hit the button twice that could be okay… probably too much to ask though

3 Likes

:joy::joy: so true though

3 Likes

The orange one is a double-pole single throw stationary contact switch with opposite action. In one position one pole is open and the other pole is closed and when it is switched the open pole closes and the closed pole opens.

The white switch is probably a latching switch with the same function as above and the middle terminals are for the pilot light

You can test the white one to see if it latches with a meter on continuity.

3 Likes

Thanks all!!!

We haz joy!!

7 Likes

on to Bigger, better, more auto-magic?

because this control scheme only just barely worked, and now the fuges are 3x bigger and the pumps are 5x faster.

at least they let me get some prototyping done before throwing more random gear at me :wink:

I know u can get powered valves. I was considering using smart plugs with a powered valve to control remotely lol