Time, Temperature and Pressure

I have been trying to build a table, for purge time, temperature and pressure. This is what I have found so far. Please make comments for adjustments or additions. BTW, there are 50 words in the eskimo language, for snow. I bet that the pot culture has more names for extracted oil. The names that I use below are general classes.

The method of extraction will determine the solvents that remain in our concentrates. I understand that the solvent to be purged will affect each process, so some tweaking is expected. The starting material should already concentrated, and thick.

**TEMPERATURES for purging:**

Live Resin: Extract from fresh material should be used. 70 degrees F @ low vacuum (25mm) for 72 hours, not heated, runny with very high terpene content

Diamonds: (THCA crystals) multi-step. Extract from fresh material should be used. Initial purge @ 85-90 degree F with no vacuum for 1 hour, followed by 3 weeks of open, undisturbed rest @ room temp. Use ultra-clean glass. Separate crystals and liquid terpenes. Purge @ room temp using high vacuum. Liquid for 60 hours, crystals for 72 hours. Recombine

Shatter: 90-100 degrees F @ high vacuum (30mm) for ~100 hours, mild heat, solid and glassy

Budder: 100-125 degrees F @ high vacuum (30mm) for 72 hours, medium heat, softer, like fudge

Crumble (honeycomb): 125-140 degrees F @ low vacuum (25mm) for 72 hours, higher heat, dry and crumbly

Honey Oil: 140-180 degrees F @ low vacuum (25mm) for 72 hours, highest heat, syrup-like

OK…there it is…in temp order, low to high…extract consistency from hard to liquid.

Please comment and expand.

18 Likes

Is this all butane and vac oven?

1 Like

A heated vacuum chamber of any type, with a vacuum gauge, will do. Butane will probably produce the best results. You need to evaporate away almost all solvent first, to get a crude sludge.

1 Like

Isobutane, prop/tane mix, n-butane?

Any alcohol is going to be much higher I’d assume for times and temps. I’d think they’re all like based on vapor pressure and boiling point.

I’m just asking questions to define variables tighter :stuck_out_tongue: I’m guessing most of these would be similar.

Have you done residuals testing with these times & temps? Or is it more a meta-scrape of the site?

Awesome work though! Thx!

1 Like

The parameters above are really general, and can serve as a starting point, for purging concentrate derived in any manner. I am actually hoping that the folks with specific tek experience will add info.

Yeah, alcohols are a bit harder to pull out, but the temps don’t really need to go up very much, the vacuum does its thing to reduce boiling points.

The crude from each type of tek is slightly different, and certainly needs slightly different purges. I personally don’t have that info in front of me, but I am always reading.

Personally, no matter what original tek I used to obtain the crude, I have alway liked to evaporate normally, then re-dissolve in ETOH. I am always purging ETOH (this also purges everything else, at the same time).

3 Likes

Of course, some people don’t mind a little butane

![Some%20people|275x183](upload://b2byW240dwaLbn6gBTBC1PdRD4G.jpeg)

Some%20people

And don’t forget about experiment stuff

Brain%20remover

3 Likes

do you achieve live resin using ethanol ?

Live Resin = just harvested (fresh and uncured) buds, flash freezing, then extraction (usually with butane).

Key aspect is fresh biomass, so that the terpenes are preserved.

Ethanol extraction would need to be QWET.

1 Like

“Honey Oil: 140-180 degrees F @ low vacuum (25mm) for 72 hours, highest heat, syrup-like”

Will those temps destroy all terps? I’m currently making oil for vape but I keep reading “don’t go over 100f or you loose everything bla bla”.

But when you recover your ethanol, the temperatures are high enough (or vacuum low enough) that you lose a lot of your light terpenes right? Maybe you can still call it Live Resin, but ethanol extracted Live Resin =/= hydrocarbon extracted Live Resin.

Personally, while QWET, at very low temperatures will work for live resin, I think that a butane or propane extraction would be a better choice.

The key concept with live resin is that FRESH biomass is used. This is material that has never been dried or cured. The fresh, moist, green, material is then frozen to a very cold temperature. Extraction is done on the frozen biomass, without allowing the temperature to rise. This requires that your extracting solvent must also be ultra cold.

At room temperature, at sea level, ETOH will boil at 170 F. The terpene with the lowest BP is Pinene @ around 311 F. That fact would indicate that significant loss of terpenes will only occur with a higher temperature than required to remove the alcohol. Sounds good, but is not completely correct…terpenes are aromatic compounds, any heating will vaporize some.

Now, butane’s BP is around 30 F, and propane’s bp is around -40 F. Even at room temperature, without vacuum, no additional heating is required to remove either of them. That said…NEVER OPEN BLAST in any enclosed space !!! Both butane and propane are explosive. The gasses are heavier than air, so will pool in low areas, and invisibly flow across the floor. If you are foolish enough to open blast, please do it outdoors, away from any structure or people, that way only you are killed or damaged if an explosion occurs.

3 Likes

Is this unit correct with 25mm Hg or is it 25 in Hg?

1 Like

Pretty sure you’re correct on that one. @Redman4556 meant in.Hg

1 Like