TIBA purple color elimination

So I came up with an idea…my train of thought was this. Although it is possible following an appropriate quench and subsequently washing procedures in the synthesis of THC from CBD using TIBA there are some cases that the resulting distillate will have a violet hue. This led me to believe that since this effect did not happen in process but rather during distillation that oxidation may be occurring. So I thought…what was a way that I could “scavenge” those oxygen particles/molecules to prevent that color but also reluctant to produce any side chain reactions. So…I decided to pack the distillation head with copper wool. 99.9% and distill this way. It turned out like this.

2 Likes

Looks like you didn’t clean the wool of its factory coating.

Did you give the copper a citric acid scrub followed by distilled water?

3 Likes

No I did not. I wanted to see if it would work at all and completely missed/didn’t thing to perform that step but I absolutely will today.

1 Like

Good ole Chore Boy finding uses outside of smoking crack lmao

5 Likes

do you think that the water would inhibit or “consume” some of the scavenging properties prior to packing? Should I dry first you think?

No, you need bare copper metal to do vapor chemistry with it. You need to remove the coating on the copper scrub brushes first before you work with them. The globs in your solution is the product of liquifying it off of the copper and dripping into solution. I’ve only used them to remove sulfur*. It only removed the smell though you could still taste it on the back end when smoked.

And yes, dry your copper before use.

2 Likes

beautiful. don’t worry this batch will be tested and destroyed. not smoked

2 Likes

Give the search function a go with copper

2 Likes

Just buy copper turnings from a reputable chemical vendor. Kind of a waste of your time to sit around washing copper wool when you can buy clean copper.

8 Likes

Hmm, I figured the distillation vacuum would remove as much oxygen as necessary to avoid the oxidizing the THC phenol. We distill THC (from cannabis extract, not from CBD) and have never had this issue. Do you think it’s possible that the violet hue you see is coming from a pH issue? CBD + base produces a colourful violet anion. Try dissolving an aliquot of your violet distillate in pentane and doing an acid wash and see if the colour goes away. Just a thought!

I must have missed this tread when posted
First of all good job it s more to golden than amber in my opinion Wich is a achievement on it s own

And to see polished nails in a foto on here is RARE and sexy😜

So color remediation and is talked about extensively but hard to search for so I’ll try to
Sun it up in short

The quench

The quench is your first option to kill color
Water is often a culprit so one can use another solvent that can be baseified or acidified
Yust make sure you add below it s boiling point
To solution
Acids are a good color killers so althou they don t serve the quench do not discard them

Then the importance of drying agents after the quench cleanup should not be dismissed
Mgso4 cacl calcium hydrate molecular sieves
All can get it done but it s solvent dependent

Then there are the powders
Once the cannabinoids are not to concentrated in an alkane solution 1:5 minimum powders can help to remediate color (Buchner funnel)
Activated magnesium silicate
Activated charcoal
Activated alumina powder ( there is 3 flavors ph+,ph - and neutral
Powdered molecular sieves (x13)
And the bentonite clays in many flavors
T41 accitic t5 neutral B80 neutral and all the others sadly each brand and make behaves difrently so you have to search Wich works best keep track of the solution it s ph for this can be problematic after

And then. there are options in the boiling flask any of these must be added in minimal amounts no more than 1% by volume

Magnesium silicate (florasil)
Magnesium oxide
Calcium oxide
Bentonite clays neutral ones only
Activated charcoals neutral ones only

And finally there are the vapor path options
Hot condensor tech
Theoretical plates
Packing the head
Copper wool
Molecular sieves
Activated alumina beads
Ceramic compounds such as beads rings etc

All in all a pretty big amount of tools that can be used each very dependent of reagents used so what works for one won t work For the other and some are temp dependent as it works beter when hot or cold
Whenever you work in the boiling flask make sure your vacuum is good < 30 microns
To keep the temps low as possible

Hope this helps as a guid to get to gold products

5 Likes

Reading treu And on the basis of my sum up I realize I never tried magnesium turnings in the head :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 posts were split to a new topic: Realterpsdumpsite

A post was merged into an existing topic: Realterpsdumpsite