Thoughts on the Future of CBD Isolate in the Case of Federally Ban on 'Synthetically Derived' Cannabinoids D8

If for some reason in the future what some consider ‘synthetically derived’ cannabinoids, such as D8 and THC-O, are banned or heavily restricted federally what do you think would happen to the price of CBD isolate? Also, do you think there would still be enough demand to keep up with the scale of production today? I’m not sure if this is the correct place for this type of post but I would be very interested to hear the communities thoughts on this.

2 Likes

This seems like as good a place as any to make my first comment on here. I don’t have an answer for you, but I’m sure curious to see what others think. Any insight, or even speculation, on what the likelihood and consequences of the legal landscape changing is relevant to me. My company works with CBD and several of the derivatives, so we will need to be ready to pivot on a dime if such crackdowns come to pass.

1 Like

Indiana has a proposed Senate amendment that looks poised to potentially ban CBD, calls for the ban of precursors and isomers of THC

I think we’ll see some restrictions on isolate going forward, along with legislation to codify restrictions on semi-synthetic cannabinoids

3 Likes

Indiana is always trying to do some shit. This aside, a federal move to ban conversions would probably tank the isolate market.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @RiverBluff .
Yes, there are always some politicians looking to disrupt. I think they would not limit cbd so much, but restrict other chems required for synthesis ie what we use to mfg these “other” categorical cannabinoids.

2 Likes

CBD is out of the bag. It’s not getting rescheduled. Too many republicans making bank.

You can ban conversion without banning the precursor.

I think demand for synthetics is directly tied to med and rec cannabis availability. Consumers really just want real cannabis at the end of the day. I wonder what will kill the market first, regulation or legalization?

1 Like

My business is extracting and distilling cannabis. Converted Delta 9 had a negative effect on my business and as such I most certainly wouldn’t mind if they put an end to it.

Yeah it is having a negative effect on tax revenue in legal states too just look at the war Oregon has launched on synthetics. I would prefer more accessibility to cannabis be the solution over regulation. Part of accessibility is price, look at CA as an example of what not to do when it comes to that, taxation and regulation is making the black markets thrive… and that is why converted D9 has a negative impact on your business IMO.

This was posted the other day on LI

1 Like

you can get to meth from myrcene in about 5 steps, farm bill compliant

sidenote - has anyone found the actual decision? Haven’t had much luck on that front

1 Like

Any context as to who posted this?

Technically CBD is an FDA approved and scheduled drug.
Under the farm bill you can extract it. And it is legal to possess
It. But I am not sure of the legal ramifications of advertising or selling it as a food supplement or for any type of Human consumption.’
It may fly as a topical with an approval from FDA, Or one may sell it as an rescorcinolic Glue.
What exactly is it about CBD that is technically legal.
You can get a Dept of Ag License to grow Hemp…but is the Hemp itself a legal food i.e., unprocessed….to openly sell for human consumption(???) Like corn. I don’t think the Farm Bill covers that.

The market for both Hemp and Recreational products is complicated enough with the natural products.
The derivative market, although profitable and possibly the flagship, down-line of the CBD isolate industry, gives rise to a
Negative public perception (beyond the consumers) and as such
Gives the Cannabis Industry a “bad name”.
I wouldn’t invest too much in manufacturing equipment specific to the production of Isolate.
As far a CBD pharmaceutical use beyond the anti seizure application, it could at the very best rival aspirin. Look at the world wide production and prices…calculate from there…i.e.,
Look at commercial aspirin price per kilo…for the bottom line.
If synthetic cannabinoids were banned the isolate market would
Drop to a value where processing would hardly be worth while.

I think the Hemp crop would survive because the potential of CBDA as a pharmacon …(and fiber, terpenes and seed of course). There will come a time when “harvesting lawns” and throwing the crop away (lawn mowing) would become more profitable.
When calculated by the price/ton-harvest.

I think the problem is fundamentally understated here, and in fact the propagation of acetate vapes of any cannabinoids could in and of itself fuck the entire industry. I think that is the fundamental weakness in the future of the industry at the moment.

CBD is a component of Hemp that is, by the fact of not being explicitly regulated, de facto legal. That’s the way shit works. Everything is legal until it isn’t.

Now if that CBD was used as a precursor for illicit drug production, it could be a factor in the charge and could be assigned status as an illegal substance much in the vein of “drug paraphernalia”… it is whatever they need it to be to qualify for the charge of ‘drug precursor’. But I stand by my assumption that the amount of money currently being generated by the industry will require a monumental effort to turn the tide the opposite direction. Another vitamin-E acetate type vape lung scandal very well could do that trick (from THC-O, HHC-O, etc).

Also if a bunch of people start smoking THCp and eating other people’s faces? That might do the trick if it spreads outside Florida.

1 Like