This Sucks! Vacuum pump choices?

We’ve got a number of threads around here addressing some of the issues with choosing the right vacuum pump for the job, but I figured a place we could point to that had reviews/recommendations & gotcha’s would be a great addition to the resource we’ve got here.

which begs the following questions:

What you sucking on? (what are you using the pump for)
How hard? (vac level. in whatever units your gauge gives them)
What with? (which pump?)
Is it working for you?
What did it cost you?

3 Likes

Alactal 2021i - 2l - 5l spd. Blanked off 7micron (400ish used)
Ai edwards clone?- 10l spd 1 micron blanked off (idk price)
Welch 2820b- 1l - 5l rotovap and buchner funnels. (5-600)
Tool lots 2 cylinder diaphram pump - great for multiple buchner funnels at once and large rotovaps (450)
Hfs 15 cfm pump- used for ovens and vaccing down cls. 15 micron when new (250)
All these pumps work beautifully for our uses

Bonus pump:
China 2xz-1 came with my first 2L years ago. It worked. Idk ultimate vac. I cant reccomend but it worked.

3 Likes

Edwards 30 for wiped film system.

• 1 micron at the flange
  • 11 micron on dry system under vac
  • $2000 used ( I have a connect)
  • Exceeded my expectations and I don’t even have a diff pump yet
5 Likes

Displacement: 36L / min,
Ultimate vacuum level: 9 mbar,
Dimensions: 33W x 27D x 29H cm,
Weight: 14Kg,
Electrical: 230V / 50-60Hz,

they seem like they might be a reasonable choice for light filtration and 2l rotovaps. they are available cheap, so I’ll probably grab one and report back.

what I like is the “post pump solvent reservoir”. that would have been really helpful when I was drying down a radioactive DNA sequencing gels 25years ago :thinking:

…and I see solvent squirting out on the floor from folks rotovap pumps all the time

edit: specs were found here All Categories Models, Products and Specs | LabWrench

They pull to deep of a vac for a roto unless tou have a regulator on it. I have one and it will cold boil tour alcohol