This is what occurred after Vac of Dry Frozen and open blasted

Hi all! I am doing my best to avoid making threads but this one is one for this Forum I think.

The following was made after a 24 hour freeze of dry material, open blasted into pyrex and purged at room temp. When it was down to a saucy state I poured off into vac chamber on non-stick and began to vac on very low temp.

I guess I was expecting a shatter slab but instead for this. It’s a fatty mess and I blamed it on that initially. I would like to avoid the following product. If I had to guess I would say fats plus too much agitation when transferring.

For the record I don’t usually make this. Usually I would winterize the crude and then purge off into a clear shatter but today I wanted to try a very basic run of frozen mats.

2 Likes

How cold was the freezer, and how cold was the solvent?

A normal home freezer isn’t nearly cold enough to freeze the material fast enough for a ff run.

1 Like

Dry Cured, Domestic Freezer solvent was chilled. No temp controls. My methods aren’t properly controlled and I imagine this kind of product requires a more controlled environment?

I have made some fire with a closed column with dry ice sleeve (not on the level of an actual closed loop, but still solid for what it is)

I had a 3x18.

This is a little smaller, but figured that may be good based on the posts of yours I have read (this is the first thing that came up on google, you can get them other places besides bvv)

I made this with a closed column and fresh frozen that was frozen in a domestic freezer. It’s funny looking back how much I over complicated the process of getting sugar…lol (this was my first run ever)

6 Likes

This yeilded higher than you would normally yeild?

Your material is probably high in terp content and it would rather make this sugar/crumble than shatter.

In order to make this into shatter you could melt it down, pull a vac over some heat and dry it out.

The thing is it looks sort of fatty so if you made it a slab, it probably wouldnt be see-through it would look dark and cloudy at best and would probably have swirls of fats throughout.

If you decide what consistency youre going for, go for it - and if it doesnt get there figure out why not

3 Likes

Thanks Drake :slight_smile: I have heard that different starting materials can sometimes have a mind of their own but never experienced it first hand until now. It’s quite enlightening.

The material is quite fatty. The domestic freezer just can’t do the job for material but does the job very well for winterizing in ethanol.

So the original blasting dish had left over oils from the transfer so I ethanol washed it, did a very quick filtration with a syringe filter and purged it out as well. Made a clearer product more akin to what I’m used to but not hard at all. Rather soft - then again I think it decarbed in the chamber lol it’s rather sappy but amber clear.

1 Like

You would have to be purging off your butane at an extremely high temperature (regardless of what vac depth pulled) compared to the norm, I’m only purging at 80-94 degrees…

Now it is possible your material was old, and has decarbed over time (happens quicker when material isn’t stored properly)

Got any pics of your starting material? What you put in is truly what you get out…

1 Like

Shit no unfortunately I don’t but it wasn’t bad. I mean, visually and sensory aspects of it wasn’t bad. I run from the same person all the time.

I think I was higher than that temp. I used a double boiler method on a hotplate set at 40c. I don’t have an infrared thermo at the moment. Again, lack of controls lack of equipment. Kinda just rubbing two sticks together here.

That’s still only 104f, shouldn’t decarb it imo (unless it’s in there for a seriously extended period of time, which it doesn’t sound like)

1 Like

True. I’m going to blame the fats and the agitation it suffered on transfer. Unless someone tells me otherwise.

1 Like

I’m going to go out on a limb now, and say that in my opinion nucleation like this is what I would seek… The instability being caused by a higher amount of terps, and yes more fats… But if you’re going to jar up for diamonds and sauce isn’t this the kind of thing you’re looking for? That’s my limited understanding anyway…

2 Likes

Wouldn’t know - I haven’t made diamonds yet. This only happens when I go BHO only. My process is so crude I end up with this if I’m not careful. Ethanol is what I’m more comfortable with. It’s a PITA to remove and if there’s too much it will play with the effect.

Making this is easy, just whip on transfer and vac it on about 40c.

Let it be known that the way you physically handle the extract can potentially manifest itself in the end result.

1 Like

Looks kinda fire :man_shrugging:

Perhaps try dirty diamond tek, it’s $250 or so to get in

1 Like

It’s trash. I realized the pic might give the impression it’s saucy but in reality it’s dry and granular. It feels nice, it tastes okay but if I were to give it an all round numbered rating, based on the aesthetic I’d give it a 4

2 Likes

Hey all just s quick update. Just did another run with a different handling method but everything else unchanged and found it WAS an agitation issue. If the soup is poured out at the right time with minimal motion into the secondary surface and purged, it will shatter up. Hard or soft depends on the starting materials but the flaky nature of the above product can be avoided by handing it differently

Ken I’m loving your picture of your first run. Impressive and damn fine work :slight_smile:

How did you freeze it? Just put it in a bag and stuff it in the freezer? Also, how did you break it up?

2.5 gal ziplocs work great. Use a frostless freezer down as cold as itll get. Youll atill wanna freeze your columna after packing with dry ice

1 Like

Yupppp, stuffed in a bag. Lol

Then right before run I froze on dry ice and then broke it down by tapping the bag with a rubber mallet lol

Wouldn’t do it like this again, but it worked lol

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t really have the capacity to run any amount of ff. I’ve always been curious how some of my stuff would turn out doing ff, but not enough to do so lol.

Maybe one day.

1 Like