TheLostBiologist Bucket and Post Processing Tek for Golden Extract

I honestly don’t know in our conditions, but mixing layers caused channelling and a reduction in color removal for bho remediation. Mind you they work under heavy pressures in most cases and we generally don’t.

When I mentioned agitation in solution. The seller’s instructions say to heat your oil, mix in your media, agitate constantly for a preset time, add solvent, remove media via filtration, then remove solvent. I tried that, but added solvent, and then media because I can’t agitate my product well without solvent present and I’ve read a bunch of sops suggesting it doesn’t matter if the solvent is or is not present during the agitation period.

So most likely you need to pull it through and not push it

Is the 10:1 ethanol to crude a must for winterization? What’s the benefit of that compare to just guessing volume?

What grade filter paper are you using after winterization?

I do 8:1 the less alcohol the more fats get pushed out but it’s harder to filter

3 Likes

When winterizing I start with a 20 micron filter paper and do a room temp filtration to remove as much fats and lipids as possible before hitting the freezer. I then do a cold filtration with celite as the filter media, this ensure you get anything smaller then a 3 micron out ( 3 micron is the finest filter paper j have)

5 Likes

I read through and didn’t really see this question answered clearly. Has anyone tried this process with denatured EtOH (5% hexane 95% etoh)? I want to, but I’m wondering if anyone has any first hand experience.

Thanks,
HK

I’m not sure I’d use denatured alcohol after reading the Ethanol Azeotropes thread started by @Photon_noir.

4 Likes

Agreed. It would be a hastle.

Do you guys think the fine filtration is necessary if the crude is going into a SPD downstream?

I’m wondering if I can get by without the AC/Bentonite scrub, or if it’s necessary to knock out the residual contaminants regardless of the final post-processing.

3 Likes

If your color is already on then yes you can get away with it

1 Like

My general philosophy is that the more compounds you can get out prior to distillation the easier it is to make high testing distillate. But, yes, in theory, you could get away with it.

6 Likes

I would always do some kind of fine filter to remove the very fine plant matter. A bentonite cake will do the trick, but a glass fritted filter would work too. If you don’t remove the fines, they are going to make cleaning out your boiling flask a PAIN. Spend a little more time in pre processing so you don’t have to spend a day trying to clean muck from your boiling flask

7 Likes

@G_Boe

Thanks for the advice guys.

I read through this read again and maybe I missed it but… I saw a recommended thickness for the AC section of the filter, is there any recommendation of how thick the bentonite section should be in the filter column?

While he doesn’t mention anything beyond cover the bottom and a bit up the side I’ve been playing with it and can tell you personally that anything more than maybe 1/4", or even an 1/8" really, reduces flow rate outrageously. After playing with it for a while I honestly can’t say running thicker has any real advantage. Definitely swap your carbon once you notice it stops working. I separate my carbon from my t5 with a filter paper to help keep separation between layers for somewhat easy changes.

3 Likes

Well, it would be easier if you started weighing your media. I can say that going from 100g bento 1/8 inch to 400g 1/2 didn’t slow speeds that much, cause I’m doing carbon and bento separate now. The 400g pulls pink compounds and the spent bento is clearly pink. You can increase the speed by using a larger funnel. There is a vid on my insta with 150g bento, 100g celite and 50g t41 DUMPING etho through it. I only crack my valve half open for the vac now which has increased the flow too. When doing the separate carbon I use celite as a base cake to filter through.

@CuriousChemist22
That’s smart the the filter paper separator.

1 Like

Can I ask what diameter filter you’re using? mine is 250mm and I want to be able to scale your weight measurements to my filter if you’re seeing good results.

Mine is 240mm, so you should be good

Do you add the dry ingredients to a filter paper base and then rinse with ethanol until clear? or create a slurry then pass that over the filter paper? trying to get an idea of the best way to make the filter puck.