TheLostBiologist Bucket and Post Processing Tek for Golden Extract

Thanks and praise unto the teacher lol @TheLostBiologist

10 Likes

Well done!

4 Likes

Do you find that the carbon really sucks up most of the terepnes? I’ve been finding lately that the carbon really holds onto the terpenes more than I would like. I guess that is the trade off with color vs flavor when using carbon.

1 Like

I haven’t noticed a loss of flavor due to carbon, in fact I usually find my products taste much better after a good media filtration, though the color change isn’t nearly as spectacular as using non polar solvent with media.

2 Likes

I really wanna know how you figured carbon was the culprit in taking terps. Never tested without carbon but I know my shit stank still and I’ve over done the carbon on multiple occasions.

1 Like

A (likely) unsolvable problem with ethanol extraction (keep them terps!) food for thought

I figure its the carbon because after filtering the filtered oleoresin smells nothing like how it did prior to filtering.

Prior to filtration i bring the extracted ethanol oleoresin to an approximate 1:10 ratio then I run 1.5L of the oleoresin through approximately 100g carbon cake and rinse the cake with 1.5L of fresh ETOH.

How are you doing your carbon filtrations?

Amount of oleoresin through the filter, diamter of filter, amount of carbon used, amount of ethanol to rinse?

Generally if using carbon I do it just after extraction, prior to any recovery, so the concentration of oleoresin to solvent isn’t very exact, probably somewhere around 20-40:1, and I generally use 1-2% of carbon to projected cannabinoid content. So if I extract 2500g of 11-12% pretested biomass I expect to have around 250g of oleoresin and as such would filter through a cake of about 2.5-5g of carbon and likely around 1-200g of bentonite clay, in a 150 ml buchner funnel.

Research papers state you get peak efficiency from bentonite clay at a 1:1 ratio, and findings with nonpolar solvents have shown volumes of between 5:1 and 10:1 solvent to oleoresin generate the best results.

I found trying to use the media with ethanol appears to be most effective if done immediately after extraction, as @TheLostBiologist suggests, if you recover ethanol to a lower concentration it seems to have a negative impact on any further color remediation done in ethanol.

3 Likes

Yea I do it right after extraction, never had a problem here. I hear carbon loves thc-a so maybe bringing it down to a lower ratio solvent:crude might be grabbing it more?

I was just reminded, by a like I actually stopped using a 1:1 ratio of bentonite and moved to a 1/4 to 1/8" filter bed.

1 Like

my man! as clear as daylight, both your instructions and your results!! kudos and regards from méxico!

2 Likes

Learn to bake the cake :sunglasses:

You gotta get it just baked enough though or it gets lazy. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Dyi panda mount, all 2x4. Works like a charm

I’m bored and someone might find it useful

3 Likes

I have a row of 6 panda mount

4 Likes

Picture or it’s fake :rofl:

It’s just a board w 6 spaces for pandas w a tie down strap across all

2 Likes

Lol I’m jk that’s insane though. Not a bad fuge for what it costs love my panda​:panda_face::heart:

3 Likes

Money well spent

1 Like