The Dark Side of Cannabidiol: The Unanticipated Social and Clinical Implications of Synthetic Δ8-THC

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/can.2022.0126

@DrMark what’s up on a pdf

5 Likes

Another from a different group

2 Likes

Interesting paper. Indeed, there are concerns regarding consumer product purity in an unregulated market. At the same time though these quotes are hilarious:

“Upon closer inspection of the region surrounding the peak from the proton on carbon 5′ in sample 3 it becomes very apparent that there are multiple products in this sample. This sample was certified as 93.43% pure Δ-8 THC with no other cannabinoids detected.”

…93.43 + X = 100?

“All vaporizer cartridges contained added non-THC hemp extracts in order to convey an organoleptic experience similar to particular strains of cannabis.”

“Even a simple HPLC-UV analysis of these products shows that the certifying labs are failing their customers and consumers by using inappropriate HPLC conditions.”

Seems like some testing labs are honest and tell consumers/retailers that the extract is 93% D8 and over 6% something else. Jealous that this got published after less than a month of peer review when I’ve had a few papers take nearly a year to satisfy reviewer #2

3 Likes

Your first quote is saying that the 93.43% d8 THC was the seller’s COA claim for sample 3. Table 1 shows seller COA claims and the actual % impurities the authors found with their NMR testing for the 10 products.

The paragraph under Figure 4 says about sample 3, “When the integral of the major product peak “E” (Figure 3) is calibrated to 100 protons it becomes quite clear that over 15% of this product is not consistent with D-8 THC, even when ignoring the extraneous peaks in the lower frequency portions of the spectrum.”

Table 1 makes it clear that none of the 10 products have accurate label claims with regard to d8 THC concentration.

The third quote is shit talking the labs that performed the testing for the COAs. It’s saying that the analysis is trivial and yet those labs aren’t using appropriate HPLC methods.

2 Likes

Products are extremely impure and 93% is probably not accurate, but products typically have 7% terpenes. So math checks out using their logic.

Seems like a shitty white paper lol

Only samples 6-10 had terpenes added, samples 1-5 did not. That means sample 3 (which is listed as a distillate) did not have 7% terps.

What about this paper do you feel is shitty? The writing isn’t the best, though the science seems on point to me.

2 Likes

Didn’t see that part so that is my bad, but there is no way the sample is 93% D8, most d8 on the market is 60-80%.

2 Likes

That’s literally a main point of the authors… Give Table 1 a glance.

Again, it has the d8 THC concentrations listed on the products’ COAs as well as the concentration of impurities (non- d8 THC compounds) the authors determined to be in each sample.

3 Likes

Ah thanks for the clarity, misunderstood. Same page they are not wrong. Wish they would have gotten our D8 :frowning:

1 Like

2 Likes

Co-elution in chromatography without an MS/MS/MS detector is a bitch.

4 Likes

Conclusions: Quality control is totally inadequate in the newly emerging Δ8-THC industry.

As an offspring of the cannabis “industry”, where bullshitting customers is a critically required trait, this comes as a total surprise :rofl:

1 Like

Lol so true when I was working research some of my papers were quickly accepted than others the reviewers were very harsh about non essential points my PI said it’s because they have some reviewers who don’t understand the subject but are statistician who didn’t really under vascular surgery and many aspects of managing venous disease.

1 Like

Everyone, who consumes or synthesizes this plethora of potential toxins should wake the fuck up.

Excellent articles certainly the tip of the iceberg.

Anyone of these compounds , if pure and going into a vape pipe or e-pen comes out as an aerosol of “5-10” different compounds , which all get exposed to the liver P450 enzymatic conversions into one or two additional products….The ACAAR synthesis route is a nightmare of unknown unknowns. @pdxcanna 4200 owes you a thanks…but this subject has been discussed here extensively over the past 2-3 years and with considerable skepticism concerning purity of commercialized products.

5 Likes