The collars on my material collumns are getting tighter

It seems like my collars are getting closer to touching. Some of them are 3 years old. I swapped out the gaskets and changed the bolts and same problem. Does this just happen over time? Should I replace them?

Hinge type? Or two bolt? Scary to have a worn or bent hinge pin.
Should have read twice. Your collars could warn but so could the ferrules on your column.

Are you using proper torque? If you’re over tightening them, over time I image you can stress the clamps and they’ll change shape.

2 Likes

I don’t specifically know the hardness of the metals involved, but if they are old, could the holes in the clamps have wallowed slightly over time?

Better to replace if you ask me, I have clamps that do this, and they just live in a box.

If you already replaced the gaskets, replace the clamps and use a torque wrench to monitor proper tension to try to mitigate wear and tear

1 Like

Ya they’re 2 bolt clamps. What is the proper torch ratings? U guys are using electric wrenches or do they make analog wrenches w torch ratings?

Torque

Torches are for huffing your meds :shushing_face:

Nuts, bolts, gaskets & clamps are consumable items.

Clamps should last longer that gaskets, nuts or bolts, but they do wear. Nuts wear fast, and are deliberately soft. Anytime you notice them wobble on the bolt, throw them out!!

1 Like

Haha auto correct

1 Like