THCV varieties?

There aren’t too many THCV breeders out there. I spoke with one today who has been developing the MediCone brand in California, George Bianchini. I’m going to visit his farm when I go to the Terpenes and Testing World Conference in April. Here is an article about his Black Beauty cultivar: http://www.beyondthc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/OSR12-21-Breeding-up-THCV.pdf

I was curious if any of you had seen any THCV heavy varieties outside of the obvious Durban Poison etc. Thanks!

2 Likes

Marcus with Cult Classic has several varieties that are supposedly higher in THCV.

2 Likes

Absolute Extracts/Care By Design uses Negra Bonita strain at around 6% THCv

1 Like

The collective I worked with in Ventura County back in the day used to do a ton of biz with Care by Design, should’ve thought of them. I also just realized that Negra Bonita by them is Black Beauty by MediCone… Spanish vs English hahaha…

1 Like

Dave Lampach, founder of Steep Hill Labs, is now running this company that (I think) licenses out THCV cultivars+products http://californiacannabinoids.com/

Here’s an old cromatogram from 2013. The breeder I got the clones from apperently mixed them up, they were sold to me as “Placerville purple” after my hometown of Placerville CA.
I later found out this was actually mendo purp. From what I researched it is a pure land race strain. I won a local award for high thcv that fall, all entirely by accident. The tests were performed by Catherine Edmond and Edward Jenkins at mmca in Cameron park CA. I hope that old man is still kicking, he was going through some pretty serious cancer when I met him.

I also want to note this was a gc sample of a concentrate I made with the plant.

2 Likes

I’ve been told a few varieties out there test as high a 14%. GW have a chemovar. African genetics have shown some promise, but still nothing comparable to the varieties floating about u north.

I have seen a lot of purple cultivars that are high in THCV. I don’t think it is inherent of true African genetics. That comes from the assumption that the Durban cut used to make Cherry Pie and Girl Scout Cookies was actually from Durban, SA. But that family of genetics does show higher THCV, nothing to do with the claimed continent it comes from. I have a grip of landrace Afghani and Pakistani genetics with a high number of purple phenotypes. Would be nice to finally grow them in a licensed facility at some point and see if there is relationship in color to THCV production. I know the most purple “Southern Charm” we used to grow made a considerable amount of THCV in testing.

2 Likes

I smoke a good amount and pretty good weed being gsc thin mint,helato,now n later,sherbert,og kush,zkittlez,sour d,dosisdos,the vision,etc and usually most strains with the “real” cookie in the genetics ill find myself im hit alot harder and caeey out a better high oe go to sleep lol. Always figured gsc, and og mainly were higher in cbd and now knowing thcv and most likely cbd v. For connesouirs and power smokers thats what gets them wethet they know it or not.

1 Like