Thc isomeration

Hello all. I’m new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with D9 THC testing in TF CBD crude oil. We are working on thc remediation and are getting conflicting results. Our internal HPLC-UV results show the same levels of D9 THC before and after remediation. We sent a tincture that was made with this TF crude to a third party lab that uses UPLC-UV and they told me that although they see three peaks in the region, there is D9 Thc based on their reference chromatograph. Another third party lab that we sent the non-diluted TF crude states that there is no D9 Thc as supported by their LC-MS testing.

After dealing with a lot of third party labs, I’m a bit suspicious of how accurate a lot of these labs are especially seeing very high reported LOQs for THC. Wasn’t sure if anyone else is in the same boat. Possibly some isomerization but without knowing why, I’m not sure if there are any safety concerns.

1 Like

What method of remediation are you using ?

We utilize the method that phenomenex recommended as we are using their column. Our LOQ for D9 THC is validated at 0.02%.

Hmmm @cyclopath
What’s your hunch
Not familiar with UV sensors

1 Like

The method can be found if you search for phenomenex cbd.

My hunch is that if not D9, it is some degregant (s). I’m more concerned about safety. I trust our results and trust the lab that tested the tincture more so than the lab that tested the concentrate.

1 Like

I’m sorry. I misread that. I’m not sure what remediation issue is used as we are working with a potential supplier. Just didn’t know if there was some knowledge regarding issues in the industry.

There are always isseu s
But to understand where things might have gone wrong we like to have the whole picture
Since there are spikes on the chroma close to the d9 spike
I wonder if it’s isomerization
Also not familiar with UV sensors
For most unit s I test on use FID
This my question to others
@srihugh1

1 Like

Go with the LC-MS testing and ask for a concentrated sample. The UV-PDA people are more easily fooled by similar looking peaks. An MS should confirm the mass of those peaks and hint if it isn’t d9

1 Like

the Δ9THC was either removed or transformed (or neither, but let’s pretend that’s unlikely for now).

If there is disagreement about whether it’s still there, and there are differences in detector involved, then I’m with @AlexSiegel, find someone with a MS after their LC.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. The product was tested via hplc-ms. I think the problem at this point is that 1. I don’t know what compounds those are and 2. If someone else would be to test it, I’m not sure that the results would come out ND from all labs. I think I know my answer!

Who did you use for LCMS?

I don’t really want to call out names out of respect for these labs. Little information on this so who knows!