THC Isolate For Analytical Sample

Does anyone know where to find a sample of THC isolate? The chemist at our lab needs it to create an analytic sample to calibrate the flash chromatography system we will be using for THC remediation of our CBD distillate. We only need 1-2 grams.

Restek

2 Likes

But you don’t need standards for flash. You can easily eye ball it with the UV detector. Shit, @anon93688 separated compounds a micro column volume apart by pure skill. Was Amazing and I’ll never forget it lol

7 Likes

I will check out Restek, thank you very much!

Really!? That’s impressive. I will talk with our guy doing the purifications, he doesn’t have much cannabis experience but is a killer chemist. Maybe he can figure out how to eyeball it haha.

Pure skill by Master Chemist @anon93688, set the gradient for a compound he never ran just from his experience and training, watched it detect then boom, separated it like a Pro

2 Likes

Wow, well done sir!! Was he able to keep any of the minors?

This is something different.

Flash allows for the separation of minors, however, by definition they are minor. You have to build up and store hundreds to thousands of of batches before you got anything worthwhile

2 Likes

Gotcha. How about the distillate he pulled the thc out of, did it retain other cannabinoids?

Yes, it doesn’t take a master chemist either, I was just pointing it out because he’s very good at what he does.

It’s very easy and anyone can dial it with time and a little research to what your looking for.

Yes minors are retained in THC-free. That’s the point

I’ve been ranting all over the site tonight. My basic point to all this is all of it just takes money. It’s all insanely easy, from extraction to chromatography. It’s just money combined with repetitive, time consuming but still insanely easy compared to real work, work. It’s even more if your later in the game due to playing catch up.

2 Likes

Restek certainly

Yeah I got you. Just making sure, so many times I see ppl claiming thc free and it’s really just isolate.

Haha, yes it’s an expensive hobby/career that we’ve chosen! But all that hard work, dedication, time and $$ is bound to payoff!

1 Like

Word. Once you’ve run enough columns, all you need is a UV source and it becomes muscle memory lol. I used to loathe chromatography, I still do, but I used to too.

No it’s not that bad now, especially when the process has an end product worth thousands of dollars… whereas when I was doing med-chem research, my many hours spent running a column, may or may not have actually produced any viable product.

1 Like

So we ran some samples, wondering if you could help me spot the peaks. We have yet to get the COA back from Botanacor.

Here is the COA on the full-spec distillate.

BOOJUM GROUP FULL SPECTRUM DISTILLATE - Potency.pdf (163.9 KB)

Here is a photo of the UV Detector while running the fractions.

If I had to guess, this is where I’m placing my bets…

Any insight? Thanks in advance!

The composition of ths extract is a bit strange.

I’m not telling this lab is wrong, but I would rather expect the composition of such sample to correspond to the following (if his this indeed a winterized and decarbed extract):

• 79.75% CBD
  • 2.67% delta9THC (CBD:THC ratio consistent with an outdoor grown CBD plant)
  • 3.60% CBC (usually comes in higher amount than delta9THC, especially with outdoor strains, but my also inclide a portion of delta10THC)
  • 0.48% delta 8 THC (usually comes a 1% the CBD content)
  • 0.48% CBG (usually notably lower than delta9 and CBC, more in the range of delta8)
    • CBDv, THCv, CBL… at low levels, below 0.5% in general.

Well we need to know what type of stationary phase for chromatography was utilized. Posting a photo of a chromatogram without all of the need information does nothing.

Was this chromatogram produced using normal phase (silica) or “reverse phase” (c18)?

2 Likes

It was a C18 on silica column