THC Imposters (Isomers)

wrecked is wrecked as near as I can tell.

putting that mess back the way it was simply isn’t going to happen.

1 Like

Question: Was this thread ever really about spinning band vs spd or is this wiped film vs spd?

No and no. The title is THC imposters… so it is about isomerization and the like.

2 Likes

Any body ever tryed the mechlaum isomerization tech ?
2 hours reflux with sulfuric acid
Suposedly changing cbd to ^9
Don t understand why iT would stop rotating at ^ 9 since ^ 8 and 10 are more obvious outcomes
Mabe he

1 Like

Yes. It goes all the way over to 8 within the same time it takes to go from CBD to THC at all… which can be as little as 20 minutes.

1 Like

That’s a kinetics and reactor design problem. A —> B ----> C where Bis your product and C is worthless.

1 Like

Actually, it isn’t kinetic at all. It appears to go straight from CBD to Δ8-THC, without passing through Δ9-THC at all. The problem is sulfuric acid is Brönstead, but you need a Lewis acid that is not also Brönstead.

So a metal? @Photon_noir

Well either way. if the reactions are A -->b and a—>c it’s a different situation. There could also be b–>c. yikes. Sounds like a headache.

Correct, @slooty … a metal based acid and zero water or other protic solvents.

B to C definitely occurs, @Bonevader . With CBD as the precursor, however, the route to Δ8 is direct when using normal protic acids.

1 Like

Protic solvents…so no alcohols.

CBD to THC, maybe a haptic complex? Something about that double bond.

Correct, @slooty , no alcohols or water. It’s nothing so “complex” as a metallocene or the like. Maybe if the precursor contained a nitrogen or metal atom to sandwich, but it hasn’t either that, nor would it be an effective ligand for such a thing. This is just hydrogen/alkene chemistry. Protic solvents and acids provide the activation energy and hydrogen necessary to relax the molecule into a more favorable (lower) energetic state, so they tend to heavily favor Δ8, while producing a much lower yield of Δ9. From CBD, for example, a protic acid yields about 95% Δ8 and only 5% Δ9-THC products.

An aprotic Lewis acid inverts that ratio, although most unsupported acids are lower yielding overall than the Brönstead acids… about 70% Δ9 and 3% Δ8-THC on average, with the remainder as byproduct or unreacted CBD. This may be due to the difficulty of truly excluding water from reactions, but likely it is just the nature of the reaction due to the less favorable energetic state of Δ9.

However, I expect an ideal acid catalyst for this reaction has already been discovered and will likely become public knowledge within about 18 months… soon after CBD is fully legalized. Those with such knowledge probably also comprehend how detrimental its public release could be, politically and medically, at the present time.

9 Likes

Really interesting stuff. And I appreciate the pun lol

Minor nitpick: The activation energy wouldn’t be provided. It would be lowered by the presence of a protic solvent. (sorry gotta take the opportunity to sound on your level :slight_smile: )

1 Like

You’re right! You got me! I totally said it backward! :confounded:

1 Like

Chromic??

Not sure what you are saying there. Chromic acid is poisonous.

What do You use to remove your waxes ?[quote=“symbioticad, post:75, topic:69”]
Ill
[/quote]

sorry, nda signed!

3 Likes

Hmmm the search is on give me a year i lk get back to you😀

3 Likes

damn, well said