THC degradation else than CBN?

Hello everyone.
I’m currently distillating high potency cannabis winterized crude. My goal is to transform the 76% thc crude into a 88%+ distillate.

Problem is, our local lab is currently really inconsistent and probably gives us inaccurate results. I did 4 passes so far, tested 85.6% after the second pass then 87.5% after the 4th pass (in process samples) and now, the homogenized pot gives us a potency of around 84%…

I’m assuming the local lab is simply having problems because my CBN levels remained the same, unless THC can deteriorate into something else than CBN, does it ?

Thanks for your help !

D9 can be altered to various other cannabinoids.
CBN is one of them, d8 (+ iso-d8) is another one. There are also other less known thc isomers which may be formed as well.

2 Likes

I would put more money on the lab just giving inconsistent results in this case.

Is your buyer requiring 86% and above to purchase? If so we should probably put more focus on how to get your purity higher :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We do not have a setup to differentiate d9 from d8, I’d assume they would both come out as ‘‘thc’’.

Depends on the testing lab, but these days most have a method that will separate d8 and d9 and give separate results. Can you ask the lab for the chromatogram and share it here. That would tell us a lot.

I assume with some cbn in there you will have some intermediates in the results as well. A couple little peaks before d9 and this could be what’s impacting your potency results.

I’m working for a canadian company, we have our own line of products. The distillate will be used for vapes and syringes. As the SKU requires a minimum of 80% on the shelf and we formulate the distillat with terpenes, we have to get 88%. Thing is I’m working with a Chemtech rolled film unit, it’s great for volume, but I find it pretty hard to get anything above 86%.

Will look for the chromatogram and post it eventually, the sample will also be run again.

Are you winterizing? Decarb prior to distilling? Doing a terp cut?

We are extracting with ethanol at -55, then winterizing. The acids have multiple occasion to decarboxylate before it gets in my hands. Yes, I am doing a terp cut.

Sounds to me that there are still fats left over maybe… Have you done a methanol test to see if there are fats?

Hey everyone. It was indeed lab’s fault. It scored at 88.7% so I’m good. They really have to fix their methodology because results are up and down these days and it’s hard to work and go with a specific set of conditions when you can’t really rely on a result.

Thank’s everyone for helping, much appreciated !

2 Likes

They may just be appeasing you. Lab’s fault doesn’t make a lot of sense they would probably tell you it’s within standard error if you were happy.

Post chromatogram? There are 4 intermediate compounds between THC and CBN that you have to worry about

5 Likes

Heath Canada doesn’t require in house testing as well? Seems like best practice.

Taking state mandated tests that you MUST pass, and not knowing the answer before you take the test would seem to put you at a disadvantage…

6 Likes

Please elaborate which one your thinking of? Iso8 d8 d10?

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this, Is there value in this? And if so to whom? I’d love to find a steady source of work for my mobile testing trailer. Maybe one day recoup that “investment”

1 Like

Nope. And therefore the suits in charge generally don’t want to pay for it/can’t be convinced of the value.

Especially when the kit required to test for the real nasties - heavy metals and pesticides - runs well into the 6 figure range.

This is where most of our clients come in.

Wanting a fresh and fast opinion, be it 0.2%thc in the field or be it 0.2 in products…

Chances are if your flying blind, you might crash and burn a whole LOT, that you might not need to…

Edit :LOT pun intended

1 Like

Mid-six-figure range in many cases.

Ouch eh