THC → CBN Conversion Leads?

The CBN reaction. Hydrogen comes off THC to form CBN and then the hydrogen reacts with unconsumed D8/D9 and hydrogenates. The dehydrogenation is the source of hydrogen for hydrogenation. That’s my theory at least. Idk where else it would come from since I’m running inert and hydrogen is so trace in air anyway

@TheVanillaGorilla the transfer hydrogenation via dehydrogenation of THCs is fairly well established/corroborated. That is to say, hydrogen absolutely can be donated by THC but this also presupposes that some amount of THC must be converted to CBN. In a perfect world, every 1 molecule of THC that becomes CBN donated 2 H2 molecules and therefore could produce 2 HHC molecules.

It’s funny this comes up - I had a client try to hydrogenate THC with palladium without using hydrogen (somewhat misguided, ofc) and he kept getting a 1:2 ratio that was very close to 33% CBN and 66% HHC which directly hues towards what we’re saying.

3 Likes

Very interesting. I never took that into consideration. Thank you for the clarification.

1 Like