THC CBD Rectification

Hello there,

do you know if it is possible to seperate THC and CBD within a rectification column?
(Rectification is a countercurrent distillation.)

Yeah there are a lot of ways to skin the cat

Chromatography and degradation of thc to cbn is the most common i see.

2 Likes

thanks for the info, i was looking in particular for a way to separate it within the rectification column. I cant imagine they are not separable within distillation or rectification.

you’re imagining wrong, sorry.

2 Likes

very similar structures. identical MW. distilling under high vac brings their BP closer together. you can certainly alter the ratio…but I’ve seen zero reports of actual separation via distillation. if they were less thermally labile…

1 Like

Ok thanks for the info. Where i am working we also separate azeotropics within those rectification columns. Is this possible due to the different structures of the solvents or just because we change the vapor pressure within the column. Because if its just the change from the pressure it theoretically should be possible to seperate it ?
We use about 2bar (1500torr) so its not really energy efficient but it works. Eg. my operational manager is able to make <96% ethanol in the column.

so basically he can do worse than what has been possible for ages without super special gear? you present it as some kind of achievement

That’s a holiday destination, right?

2 Likes

Nah, pretty sure you’re thinking of nootropics :rofl:

3 Likes

It’s possible extractive distillation could resolve them, but i haven’t seen it done.

I recall discussions of possible high boiling point flask additions which were presumably aimed at this goal. don’t recall them going anywhere.

Yeah, i was very interested in looking into it, but then i started to learn more about the various degradation remediation methods and decided that was more promising to explore. It would still be neat to see someone take a look at it.

Sorry my bad >96%

Dont know if this should be a joke, english is not my main language so i dont know what you mean haha the translator said azeotropic, so sorry if its wrong… but im pretty sure you know what i mean :wink: