Thawed Fresh Frozen - Am i Screwed?

Hey everyone I had a freezer go out for 12 hours and the material inside thawed out. I’ve been doing a little reading and it looks like someone said bubble hashing it out may be an option but I don’t have that capability at the moment.

I washed a Kg doing a -60C wash in ethanol - my yield was 2.5%. If I do a warm wash are my yields going to be higher? I was reading that when they thaw then refreeze that ice crystals form around the trichome making it difficult for the ethanol to dissolve the resin. Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry to say, but at this point I wouldn’t touch it for smokeable extract… I’d still extract with etho and then maybe go to food with it.

5 Likes

This happened to me a few months ago

Its disty material now

Sorry

4 Likes

Bubble hash it. But may be a sloppy mess at this point

Distillate only IMO

3 Likes

It taste like grass/og mix… well thanks anyways. I’m just gonna make it into tincture I guess. Not ideal :frowning: lol.

2 Likes

I hear this all the time but that’s the craziest thing I’ve heard saying it’s not worth extraction now

I had this happen on couple lbs here’s what I did

Take the bio mass out and place in boxes to dry. Let it dry for week or so. Yeah your color will darken some and it won’t be "live"anymore. But it’ll still be terpy af and great!

I dry all my biomass and never run live anymore. Week or so from harvest as live as I’m doing anymore,. And no one can tell other than color

Dry the biomass off for couple weeks it’s just water. Once it’s dry then refreeze with dry ice prior to extracting.

Scrapping it would be stupid to me. Sauce or whatever you want is still very achievable once dry. Otherwise you’ll fight the ice and never win

12 Likes

you want it dry if you’re gonna extract with etoh

3 Likes

To each his own brother. I wouldn’t do it. I run dry now too. Live runs cost way to much in dry ice and production time.

2 Likes

I understand but he’s trying to save the material. It’s not bubble hash bound only

If u dry that material now you’d be perfect for dry run. I still use dry ice no matter if live or not

Just trying to say the material can be dried and ran for prized sauce

3 Likes

I still think you can do a live etho extraction on it. And from there do whatever the heck you want with it. It doesn’t have to be an edible… I miss spoke there

I just know that no matter what, my butane extraction method pulls all the terps… so if the bag smells like hay, so will my end product. Shit in, shit out

3 Likes

I didn’t realize we was trying to save the live aspect my bad

But really right when that dried off you could refreeze with dry ice and run. Get a very nice product without worrying about fighting water
And for BHO I know nothing about eho

I might need to teach you some tricks for BHO then :rofl:
I leave that hay smell behind and pull only the trichs and terps

1 Like

Lol!! I might need to teach you how to store plant matter so it doesn’t smell like hay to begin with. Lmao.

Much love brother.

It’s always from people with material that either sat in a ziplock instead of a turkey bag and never burped it, or from people who don’t store in the freezer, or both.

1 Like

I’m talking about running others stuff buddy… Hard to teach them that!

:green_heart::facepunch:. I was just teasing you much love bro

1 Like

I know brother. :green_heart::fist:

1 Like

Why is that? Dry material has to cure which oxidizes the cannabinoids. I was taught that ethanol starts to break down the cell membrane at a higher temperature as well. I get a really solid wash off of cryo material. Everything is below -60 and it is very clean. I’m processing material that’s in the 10-15% potency range and getting 8-13% returns. What would running it dry improve? I basically mimic @thelostbiologist bucket tek right now because I don’t have a centrifuge. If ya’ll wanna pick apart my process i’d be happy to post it for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think i’m gonna try letting it dry then do a room temp run<roto<winterize<scrub<roto then pour it in some jars and practice making diamonds. If the material is gonna be kinda mediocre in terms of flavor then I can at least put it to good practice! Make some cured resin or something. Do ya’ll know how to do with that ethanol? Is it pretty simple like: Rotovap to crude<pour in jar< put jar in oven at 95-100F<patiently wait and watch your diamonds :slight_smile:

If you wash wet biomass with ethanol, you will drastically lower the proof of the ethanol by absorbing the water in the biomass.

Making for a lower proof wash, = a big mess.

1 Like

I refroze the material when it thawed out. The power went out for around 12 hours before I was back at the shop - so the material wasn’t complete mush. But it had definitely thawed so I threw it in a cooler with dry ice all around it and refroze it. Will the same effect happen Demon if i’m doing a cryo wash? The biomass and the solvent are below -60 the entire time that they are in contact with each other. The only time the process goes above -60 is after I filter through my Buchner/filter medium.

it’s the fact you thawed and refroze. ethanol picks up water. not saying it won’t work but the efficiency gets muddied up. even fresh frozen has to be done with extreme caution to temps for this reason.

2 Likes