Testing for CBD tinctures

First I want to say what a great site this is and I can’t imagine what I would do without it! So I am getting ready to sell CBD MCT and Alcohol tinctures and the only testing I’ve had done up to this point is potency testing. Of course I want to make sure that I do my due diligence to make sure my customers are safe. In saying that what additional tests should I have done on my tinctures to make sure they are safe to consume? Thanks in advance for your input.

I would send off your final product to a reputable lab and test it for heavy metals, pesticides, myco toxins, residual solvents, and terpenes. Maybe also water content?

It’s good to do shelf life tests before bringing something to market as well. (Recalls are litterally the worst thing ever)

2 Likes

I think I’m one of the only people to pasteurize my tinctures after 1 micron filtration. Maybe it’s b.c. it’s dumb and doesn’t do anything but my sop is to filter it first and then heat and stir @ 160 for an hour. (Non of my labs showed degradation of cannabinoids during this step)

Anddd I just googled a pasteurization chart and that seems like it may indeed be overkill.

With that being said I always had greater than 12 months shelf life

You need fo test your RAW CBD oil for cannabinoid %, heavy metals, microbes, pesticides, and residual solvents…prior to making your tinctures… A heavy metal might not show up in your tincture, that would of tested positive in the RAW CBD oil.

2 Likes

I would say before and after is most appropriate.

We would test the flower 4 weeks prior to harvest, once dried, crude post decarb, first pass disty, second pass disty, final product it was always about 6 full panel tests for each final product.

We were pretty much a 6 figure salary for mcr back on the day

There is absolutely no reason for me to retest my tinctures after they are made…except for a random few for cannabinoid %… iv never done a shelf life study on a bottle of MCT oil…there is no need for that in my opinion…I have bottles around from three years ago that are still just as safe as they were when I made them. Just my $0.02.

2 Likes

All my clients always received a potency test with thier final product. (Lots of white lable custom stuff) and if they request it I like to offer the full chain of full panels :person_shrugging: different strokes for different folks. Testing the final tinctures sounds dumb when every single one comes in on point or 3% above but custys like it

To sell tincture in the Oregon market, on has to test the concentrate AND the final formulated product. People make mistakes when formulating, which is why testing the final product is important. I, personally, would not sell a final product that I have not had tested. Too much risk, even though I have the utmost confidence in my ability to accurately formulate a product.

Just because something looks safe does not mean it is. I have seen all kinds of weird things happen to tincture while sitting on the shelf, especially if the bulbs on the dropper are not compatible with MCT, which most are not. I do not believe this is a claim you can guarantee.

1 Like

I’ll repeat myself…no need to recheck a full panel on the final tincture product… only need to do a cannabinoid % test (potency)…
I’m willing to risk every penny I have on the fact that my tinctures will hold up for 1 year after they are made. EVERY PENNY

1 Like