Terps for RSO

I have been trying to figure out the best ingrediants and ways to make an RSO type product for personal use. I really wanna cut back on the smoking my flower. There are way to many terpenes out there fake, real, hemp, cannabis…I can access terps all day long at the extraction shop by me but I do not think they are hemp/cannabis derived. Knowing how terps can add to the entourage effect I am curious if considering the synthetic terps not having any canna related ingrediants are synthetic terps beneficial to use in my oil or would it just be a waste? I have been sitting on super silver haze synthetic terps for a minute and can experiment with that but if I should really be putting in canna related terps I will have to find a good local source like @betroit

3 Likes

Rso is usually eaten, shoved up your butt or topically added.

In my opinion, the natural occurring terps in rso (higher boiling point terps) are plenty. My tek for entourage effect edibles is to simply do a partial decarboxylation. That way you get acidic cannabinoids and low bp terps.

Hot plate at 180 f for 5-10 min and 220f for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add coconut oil.

6 Likes

No reason to add a custom formulation of terps to help even more for specific ailments? I assumed pretty much all terps are gone from heating. Thats a very low cook time for the oil. How does that account for cooking off the solvent?

1 Like

I start with warm extracted bho. I would look for a bunch of variety and have several mason jars of your different types of medicine.

1 Like

I think its legal to do alcohol extraction here and not butane. For that reason and potential residuals I am aiming on the alcohol. I like the idea of starting with BHO because the end product might be more potent and have more terps.

Alcohol is a good choice for home use.

Especially when you add in “not a felony” and “won’t blow up my kitchen”

However, from a “residuals” point of view, a solvent that boils at 0C is going to be way easier to purge than one that boils at 78C. You will absolutely have more solvent left in your extract with ethanol.

Do the terpenes contribute when eaten? Certainly worth looking at, if you’ve got a decent source.

Traditionally “RSO” has not been made with top shelf material (fan leaves…), so “strain specific” hasn’t been a huge part of most people’s data sets.

I played with it a little when I had access to a trained bioassay team, but never got around to double blind.

3 Likes

Well RSO is made by shaking a minimal of 7grams of cannabis (7gr=1gr of rso), in a vessel for 4mins at room temp with 190 proof ethanol, strained at 190 microns boiled down at 70°C to a dark oil in which is eaten, used as a topical or a suppository.

It would take at least a quarter pound of high grade cannabis to produce a significant amount of EHO to smoke. In which case you may want to look into absorbants and filtration media prior to boiling down at 30°C- 35°C

By no means am I trying to smoke RSO. Someone else on here was posting about there research on how certain terps do certain jobs in the body. If RSO is going to be low in terps from boiling down the alcohol and decarbing I am wondering about adding terps in to help the effectiveness of the medicine. My other question is would synthetic terps have the same medicinal property as naturally derived?

Unless one posits magic, a molecule is a molecule no matter how you obtain it.

Might there be left over precursors or side products in “synthetic” versions? Sure. Are those any more or less likely to be harmful that the extra bits one might bring along when using a partially purified “natural” or “cannabis” source?

Dunno. Probably depends on which molecule and synthetic route we are discussing. Or even who did the synthesis and cleanup.

most of the things plants make as secondary metabolites are designed to discourage other critters eating them. Plants can’t run away or bite you in the face, so they’ve taken to chemical warfare. The concept that “it’s natural, so it must be good for me” is one hell of a stretch…”it came from cannabis, so it must be better than the same molecule from mango” is ludicrous. But the prep from mango might be more or less likely to bring along or leave behind other stuff, so actually looking on a case by case basis is required…and we haven’t gotten there yet.

If you’re eating this stuff, rather than huffing it, you need not be nearly as concerned about residual solvents or carriers in your naturally derived terpenes.

4 Likes

Thats the over loaded answer I was looking for. I must say perfect response. I wish we had a Terp highway map sort of speak.

2 Likes

Well if you REALLY wanted to experiment with terps and edible oil try making disty, divide up the disty into different ratioed batches of terps and disty and see if the effects are different between each time you eat it.

1 Like