Terpenes are more important than cannabinoids

1000x :grinning:

4 Likes

There is actually no pharmacological data to prove that terpense modulate the effects of the cb1 or cb2 receptors. Iā€™m not saying that terpenes donā€™t have any medical benefits. Simply that there is really no entourage effect with cannabinoids.

Even in the study you link that only mentionā€¦ " Possible Underlying Mechanisms" there is no definitive proof of an ā€œentorage effectā€

10 Likes

Well thereā€™s definitely something going on, thereā€™s plenty of at least anecdotal evidence of that, donā€™t you agree? Even if it hasnā€™t been completely explained?

14 Likes

There is no conclusive proof of an entourage, however I find it hard to take seriously anyone who flatly denies itā€™s existence.

I mean, fuck, just the fact that switching strains can overcome tolerance suggests there is more than one actor at play.

33 Likes

Itā€™s not terpenesā€¦

Someone else shared this podcast with Hamilton and they actually touch on the subject tword the end of the episode.

ā€œThe entourage effect is the astrology of weedā€ or something of those linesā€¦

6 Likes

ah, youā€™re saying entourage exists and terps aint it?

My experience with steam distilled CO2 terp fractions suggests whatever it is, is in that fraction

2 Likes

I think the VSCs and esters do more to regulate effects than terps. I never bought the terpenes being the aspect that regulates effect. Botanical terpenes donā€™t change shit for me but the clear terps I make sure as hell do and I think the main difference is the esters, volitile sulphur compounds and maybe flavinoids. Sure smells way more like cannabis that botanically derived terpenes ever do.

24 Likes

Ding ding ding

4 Likes

Iā€™ll take those sulfur compounds any day :joy:

6 Likes

100000000% agree

Botanical terpenes in d9 wont do shit for me to get me high

Those waterclear diamonds and terpenes you gave me thoughā€¦ Totally different story

Theres just something about plant extracted live resin that gets me.

11 Likes

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsomega.1c04196

Theyre what gives Gelato its distinct smell and taste supposedly

Our results uncovered numerous VSCs, as shown in Figure 1, some of which have not been identified in nature. The compounds VSC3 ā€“VSC7 each contain the prenyl functional groupā”€the dimethyl analogue of the allyl groupā”€the latter of which is found ubiquitously in garlic VSCs with reported health benefits. [(32,33,39,40)](javascript:void(0):wink: After identifying these compounds, we formulated the flower aroma profile of the cultivar Bacio Gelato using botanically derived isolates in a laboratory setting that confirmed 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol (VSC3 ) to be the major component of this aroma. We then measured VSCs in three cannabis extract products, an increasingly popular form of consumption, to determine if these compounds are retained throughout the hydrocarbon extraction process. We lastly conducted an indoor greenhouse trial to determine when these compounds are produced by the cannabis plant by monitoring the concentrations of VSCs as a function of growth. Our results establish two-dimensional gas chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry, flame ionization detection, and sulfur chemiluminescence as a powerful tool for elucidating the chemistry of the complex odor of cannabis .

15 Likes

not trying to nit pic, but itā€™s terpenes.

6 Likes

Wow I canā€™t believe I havenā€™t heard of this. Apparently itā€™s one of the chemicals that form in lightstruck beer too. Very cool. Prenylthiol - Wikipedia

3 Likes

That would be the POE oil they put in most refrigerant cans to keep the systems lubed when they are charged. Iā€™ve discussed previously that they are quite difficult to remove from the refrigerant (by design) and because of that I absolutely would not use actual refrigerant gas. Iā€™m not sure where you would get unlubricated r134a

6 Likes

Yeah, I have not seen ā€œcleanā€ r134a. I was almost curious enough to distill a little bit in the small cls to see if that left behind what I suspect is in there. Just for shits and giggles

2 Likes

nitpick* :wink:

21 Likes

Awesome paper, thank you for posting it, Iā€™m going to give it a thorough read.

Iā€™m somewhat excited to see resolution on FID, mostly as Iā€™m still intimidated to getting the mass spec up and running.

I started my journey into cannabis testing because I wanted to understand why smoking a bowl of one strain might have a positive impact but not the next. Starting with cannabinoids, then terpenes and I think this might be next, GCxGC. This article is very exciting to me.

3 Likes

Just a reminder to those who say ā€œbotannical terpenes donā€™t do it so itā€™s not terpenesā€ā€¦

just because itā€™s not all terpenes doesnā€™t mean its ā€œnot any terpenesā€

6 Likes

Username checks out :wink:

4 Likes