Terpene Vaporization Best Practices & Safety

Seems like evidence that would support cartridges could be reacting with terpenes to pull metals into solution. I’d be curious what grade of stainless steel was used to make the cartridge?

2 Likes

I was a pipe welder and with chineese steel its anyones guess what the “alloy” they use is.

2 Likes

I just made 50 carts all with floraplex durban poison with ascents all ceramic carts.

Ya ceramic is probably gonna be the way to go , unless someone makes one out of true 304 or 316 stainless. Assuming terps would not pull stuff from it

2 Likes

Ceramics come with a variety of inherent dangers as well. I’m not really awake enough yet to do all the citing and whatnot, but it’s actually been mentioned by @tonystark in a thread too if I remember correctly. May not necessarily affect the white ones, but the colored ones at least don’t seem too safe based on what I’ve read, which was confirmed by Tony.

Also, 316 should be able to easily hold up against terpenes. That stuff is designed to hold up against some pretty strong acids and bases.

1 Like

It’s all about the temp of the nail

Concentrates have higher levels of terpenes and there for are more dangerous because they have the potential to produce more benzene

Benzene isnt going to kill you instantly, it’s a cancer causing chemical ( we have the little cancer causing signs here at gas stations because gas contains up to 8% benzene by volume, were exploded to benzene everyday). Pesticides won’t either.

Its gotta be something inside the cart or added to the cart IMO

1 Like

By no means implying a legalized state has safe products inherently, I was referring to Massachusetts. None of the cuts that are allowed by other state standards would pass in our labs due to tight regulations.

I am being told that there are a lot of carts being marketed as heavy metal free which are random alloys covered in chromium. The chromium is oxidized by terpenes revealing the sketchy toxic metal underneath. If you look up chromium terpene oxidation you should find this discussion. That said, my opinion is that you should only be using cannabis derived terpenes, which I know is backed up by quite a few of us here, especially after the vapi/evali crisis. I will list the reasons but I’m not going to hunt for articles right now.

1. Cannabis is one of the safest substances to smoke/vape on the planet. We have thousands of years of human use smoking it, perhaps the most (purposefully) smoked substance in the entirety of human history. Nobody has ever died directly from it, and we know it to be particularly non-irritating.
  2. Dont believe people when they say a terpene is a terpene and its the same, cannabis derived or otherwise. This is not true for several reasons which I will outline here:
    a) botanical blends are blended isolates which are extracted with solvents. There are still traces of these solvents left, enough to make some people fail residual solvent tests.
    b)some isolates, like myrcene polymerize when isolated creating a new potentially toxic substance and stopping it from reacting the same with cannabinoids as it would naturally.
    c)some terpene companies are saying (or not) that all their terpenes are natural while still including synthetics. Synthetic isolates often contain secondary reacted substances. The fda, for instance has specifically declared synthetic myrcene to be a potentially cancer causing agent while natural myrcene is said to be cancer fighting.
    d) there are different structural isomers and also different stereoisomers which may be named the same on one level, but are effectively different. I have heard this specifically about certain types of limonene being harsher then others.
    e) there are maaannnyyyy more forms of terpenes in a naturally occuring cdt vs a blend. One thing I have noticed about terpenes is that the more you inhale of any one particular one, the more harsh it is. It seems to make sense that if one in particular is an issue, having other ones to dilute it seems healthier then keeping it in high concentration. A few people here note adding cdt to botanical blends to make them less harsh and round out the flavours.
    f) natural full spectrum cdt have azeotropes formed that wont be found in isolate blends necessarily
  3. When people hear about all these sketchy differences and ways they’re being potentially poisoned they wont look at you like there’s no difference, they will remember that you saw that and decided to make more money off them by potentially poisoning them.
2 Likes

Here’s what I don’t get, terp blends have been used for a long time, carts have been used for a long time, millions of people, probably hundreds of millions of carts, why is this just popping up now? Why are the cases not more widespread and more prevelant? I would think it’s safe to assume that off brand carts have always been dirty for heavy metals, the legit carts all were until people started testing for it, and that wasn’t that long ago. So what changed?

1 Like

color is glaze ,you can search glaze in google to know it material.