TERPENE steam distillation

Agreed. Hte starts to get a burnt taste over time. Very frustrating. @Thetetraguy what can’t you do bro!? Terps, oil, flower,CBD retail. The guys a friggin machine!

3 Likes

Lol yeah wet steam distilled smells like the plant when its been hanging for a day, when the grass smell is still apparent but theres definitly terps behind it.
I still think inert gas “steam” would be the bees knees, not co2 but same sorta setup.
@Kinsmanofthesun haha thanks, im truely just trying to learn everything i can do about this plant and my mcgyver skills are A+

7 Likes

It works if you work it :wink:

@terpenescali
Can’t wait to hear about it.

1 Like

So is it possible to get some pimped out steam apperatus and clean up techs producing exact profile terpenes? just as good as hydrocarbons?

Steam will work just fine for certain varieties. It pulls more monoterpene dominant fractions so if the loudest notes in that profile are mono’s like citrus →tangie then it will pull a very nice cut.
If the heavy’s are the loudest notes like gas, earthy-skunk then steam just isn’t going to pull that out.

even steam w vacuum/inert gas flush or other addons? it can never compare to a hydrocarbon profile?

No but I imagine if you pull enough vacuum, add enough heat, and push through enough gas that you could get everything.
Hydrocarbon grabs anything non-polar so it tends to be the way to create a good crude terpene extract. If you refine that then you can make something very true to the original. The drawback is that
a. You have to remove your solvent. This can be a little tricky sometimes, and will always result in yield losses
b. It grabs everything which is not selective enough to always represent the original profile so you will have to refine the cut until your happy. This usually results in one top shelf fraction, and one subpar fraction which is sort of not worthy and is basically thrown away. Top shelf fraction is about 25% of the yield, i.e you throw 75% away.

3 Likes

Funny u say that because ive gotten some incredible raunchy skunky gas terps from some gorilla glue steam distillation (under vac), and ive gotten sweet citrus and perfume off some sativa strains, so i think its kinda all over the place, but i will admit, its harder to get a good gassy profile then a perfumey sativa smell.
Instead of running it to completion each time and having to dump the last 3/4 fraction, just stop it early and never get the bad fraction coming over.

4 Likes

Terpenes don’t dictate how good cannabis tastes. Think lighter. If you’re not even pulling the monoterpenes effectively then you are not pulling the real gas that’s a hell of a lot more volatile than limonene or myrcene.

That nasty rotten smell people describe when the material is first warming up you need later. The dankest compounds in cannabis smell absolutely putrid on their own.

The whole process is backwards. In time my friends.

5 Likes

Hahahahahaha

Adding hemp terps to the fishy and popcorn liters got better reviews than canna terps

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you’re saying.

There were certain traditional liters with heads in them that no one wanted, that made fire carts, better than others made with canna terps

Nah dawg. Bigger. images (11)

8 Likes

That’ll do pig, that’ll do.

9 Likes

I’m always chasing the skunk terps so I just never had any luck with steam, but also never ran some gorilla glue so that could be the difference. When I would run some purple that was sort of skunky/fruity I only really got the flowery/perfume side and it lost the whole skunk character.
If that smell is caused by thiols then it would make sense that they would end up in a lighter fraction.
Did you run it extra cold or anything?

Honestly dont remember, but i know they were indoor GG smalls, no trim.

Is microwave technology technically steam stilled? Sorry i’m green here.

No…

1 Like

You suck for making empirical statements on a science forum. Whackadoo

1 Like